well, I noticed that the master agent closes a session if a subagent is
not responsive. Can't this be considered as a subagent going down. Maybe
add some hooks there to update subagent status, send notification out.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Ayers [mailto:mike_ayers@tvworks.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 12:56 PM
To: Sam Vazdekis; net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: monitoring subagent states

This is explicitly not part of AgentX. You are expected to use
application management techniques on the host on which your subagent is
running to keep the subagent up. This can be the same type of
application management used to restart snmpd should it go down.

The master agent is expected to be unaware of the details of its
subagents, and should not do the application management of them. The
full reasoning behind this is a bit too involved to get into, but it
makes sense once you've got everything running.

HTH,

Mike