What exactly is a MIB? - SNMP

This is a discussion on What exactly is a MIB? - SNMP ; Gurus, What exactly is a MIB? I've been reading about it and am still confused. Just need a simple layman's explanation of it. -- Spin...

  1. What exactly is a MIB?

    --
    Spin

  2. Re: What exactly is a MIB?

    Spin wrote:
    > Gurus,
    >
    > What exactly is a MIB? I've been reading about it and am still
    > confused. Just need a simple layman's explanation of it.

    Well, I'm not a "guru" (in fact closer to the "layman" camp), but I can
    give this a shot.

    From the SNMP FAQ ... "What is a MIB" ... "A collection of objects
    which describe an SNMP managable entity."

    The common usage for the term MIB is a text file which defines/describes
    the data objects available from an SNMP "manageable entity" (e.g.
    router or a computer system). The data objects are described using an
    "adapted subset" of the ASN.1 language/syntax. It can be read by humans
    (e.g. system managers) and also "read" by management applications which
    want to analyze/display the data.

    It also is a term which is used for the overall SNMP MIB, which can be
    confusing. A more detailed explanantion of that takes us beyond the
    layman arena, IMHO.

    Rob

  3. Re: What exactly is a MIB?

    Hi Spin,

    You might want to have a look at this post I wrote some times ago...
    http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc/entry/simple_is_not_easy

    regards,

    -- daniel
    JMX, SNMP, Java, etc...
    http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc

    Spin wrote:
    > Gurus,
    >
    > What exactly is a MIB? I've been reading about it and am still
    > confused. Just need a simple layman's explanation of it.

  4. Re: What exactly is a MIB?

    Hi Spin,
    A MIB is basically a collection of objects.
    What are these objects??
    These objects are various list of managable entities of an Network element,ranging from the name of the element to the number of users connected,number of cards inserted in the element,names of the card etc..
    it is usually represented as a dotted string
    something similar to
    1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9...

+ Reply to Thread