Subtree in a Table definition - SNMP

This is a discussion on Subtree in a Table definition - SNMP ; Hi in a MIB we found the following definition: abcTable abcEntry abcIndex abcExt abcObj (see below) That means, we have a subtree in a Table. Is this a valid definition? In RFC2578 we found: "each row may contain one or ...

  1. Subtree in a Table definition

    Hi
    in a MIB we found the following definition:

    abcTable
    abcEntry
    abcIndex
    abcExt
    abcObj

    (see below)
    That means, we have a subtree in a Table. Is this a valid definition?
    In RFC2578 we found: "each row may contain one or more scalar objects,
    termed columnar objects" IMHO such a definition is not allowed
    On the other side: The Simple Web MIB Module validation does not report any
    error.

    Detlef

    -- a Table
    abcTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX SEQUENCE OF AbcEntry
    ::= { xyz 5 }

    abcEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX AbcEntry
    ::= { abcTable 1 }

    AbcEntry ::=
    SEQUENCE {
    abcIndex INTEGER,,
    abcExt OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    }

    -- a Subtree in a column object
    abcExt OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { abcEntry 2 }
    abcObj OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX INTEGER
    ::= { abcExt 1 }

  2. Re: Subtree in a Table definition

    Detlef Rothe wrote:
    > Hi
    > in a MIB we found the following definition:
    >
    > abcTable
    > abcEntry
    > abcIndex
    > abcExt
    > abcObj
    >
    > (see below)
    > That means, we have a subtree in a Table. Is this a valid definition?

    No.

    > In RFC2578 we found: "each row may contain one or more scalar objects,
    > termed columnar objects" IMHO such a definition is not allowed
    > On the other side: The Simple Web MIB Module validation does not report any
    > error.

    It's a bug in the tool that will get fixed.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
    Phone: +49 421 200 3587 Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany

+ Reply to Thread