Perhaps, but there is no point in doing so. It will use some combination of GET, GET-NEXT, and GET-BULK (implemented within the agent as get-next, I believe) requests. It shouldn't matter, though, as your subagent must be able to handle all of these in any order.

> Does it run the
> getnext request all the time? Is that it?

Again, don't worry about this.

> And how does it
> finish?

It finds itself past the end of the tree it's walking, and discards the extra response(s).

> I suppose getnext will return the next object even if
> it is in another subtree than in the one which was requested.

Yes, but the subagent does not, as it cannot know which MIBs are registered.

> In other words, let's say I request for an OID which is the
> last one in some subtree. Getnext will return an next OID
> no matter it's in a different subtree. Am I right here?

Yes.

> But snmpwalk stops itself when it has got all the data in the
> specified subtree. For example, snmpwalk -v 1 -c public
> computer.com system will print just OIDs in the system subtree.

Yup.

> I want to implement my own mib using just a simple program
> and pass_persist directive.

Hyark, hyark! "Simple" program... the "Simple" is all in the Network Management Protocol - none left for the subagents!

> I don't exactly know how to
> implement getnext comand.

You don't.

> What should the program return when
> the last OID in my mib is requested by getnext ?

The pass_persist documentation in the snmpd.conf manpage explains exactly how your program must respond to agent requests. Just implement that spec.

HTH,

Mike