Difficulty in setting up snmptrapd to recieve snmp v2 traps fromvendor device. - SNMP

This is a discussion on Difficulty in setting up snmptrapd to recieve snmp v2 traps fromvendor device. - SNMP ; http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.p..._notifications I added the following to my snmptrapd.conf authCommunity log,execute,net public Yet when I start the snmptrapd utility, the system complains about the syntax. I guess either I or the wiki are missing what and where this statement goes in. ...

  1. Difficulty in setting up snmptrapd to recieve snmp v2 traps fromvendor device.

    http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.p..._notifications

    I added the following to my snmptrapd.conf
    authCommunity log,execute,net public

    Yet when I start the snmptrapd utility, the system complains about the syntax.

    I guess either I or the wiki are missing what and where this statement
    goes in. I want to enable v2c trap recievers.

    Additionally, when I try to use the private MIBS (loaded appropriately
    per doc), with the appripopriate options -m ALL system still reports
    the following when I send a trap from the device (in this case an
    Imperva waf manager)

    Cannot find TrapOID in TRAP2 PDU

    I am running snmptrapd version 5.1.2 with stock redhat 4.

    Any ideas on what I am missing here?

    Thomas

    --
    -----------------------
    Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

    Reply Forward

  2. Re: Difficulty in setting up snmptrapd to recieve snmp v2 traps fromvendor device.

    Thomas Munn wrote:
    > I added the following to my snmptrapd.conf
    > authCommunity log,execute,net public
    >
    > Yet when I start the snmptrapd utility, the system complains about the syntax.
    >
    > I am running snmptrapd version 5.1.2 with stock redhat 4.

    That version is too old to support that configuration.
    I'd suggest upgrading to latest stable 5.4.2.
    If you need to stick to the old version, remove the "authCommunity" line.

    +Thomas

  3. Re: Difficulty in setting up snmptrapd to recieve snmp v2 traps fromvendor device.

    I made the line read:

    log,execute,net public

    And it still rejected it. Any ideas?

    On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Thomas Anders
    wrote:
    > Thomas Munn wrote:
    >> I added the following to my snmptrapd.conf
    >> authCommunity log,execute,net public
    >>
    >> Yet when I start the snmptrapd utility, the system complains about the syntax.
    >>
    >> I am running snmptrapd version 5.1.2 with stock redhat 4.

    > That version is too old to support that configuration.
    > I'd suggest upgrading to latest stable 5.4.2.
    > If you need to stick to the old version, remove the "authCommunity" line.
    >

    > +Thomas

  4. Re: Difficulty in setting up snmptrapd to recieve snmp v2 traps fromvendor device.

    Or, more specifically, How do I get rid of the 'Cannot find TrapOID in
    TRAP2 PDU' when trying to parse events?

    I included the MIB tree from the vendor, and reloaded per snmpd/trap
    directions, (using the -m ALL when invoking the snmptrapd daemon).

    Sorry if I wasn't clear.

    Thomas

    On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Thomas Munn wrote:
    > I made the line read:
    >
    > log,execute,net public
    >
    > And it still rejected it. Any ideas?
    >
    > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Thomas Anders
    > wrote:
    >> Thomas Munn wrote:
    >>> I added the following to my snmptrapd.conf
    >>> authCommunity log,execute,net public
    >>>
    >>> Yet when I start the snmptrapd utility, the system complains about the syntax.
    >>>
    >>> I am running snmptrapd version 5.1.2 with stock redhat 4.

    >> That version is too old to support that configuration.
    >> I'd suggest upgrading to latest stable 5.4.2.
    >> If you need to stick to the old version, remove the "authCommunity" line.
    >>

    >> +Thomas
    >>

    > --
    > -----------------------
    > Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

  5. Re: Difficulty in setting up snmptrapd to recieve snmp v2 traps fromvendor device.

    2008/10/14 Thomas Munn :
    > I made the line read:
    >
    > log,execute,net public
    >
    > And it still rejected it. Any ideas?

    You don't need the "authCommunity" line at all.
    Delete the whole line completely.

    Dave

  6. Re: Difficulty in setting up snmptrapd to recieve snmp v2 traps fromvendor device.

    2008/10/14 Thomas Munn :
    > How do I get rid of the 'Cannot find TrapOID in
    > TRAP2 PDU' when trying to parse events?

    That sounds suspiciously like an error in the incoming trap.

    Try running
    snmptrapd -f -Le -d

    and trigger the event in question.
    That should display a dump of the incoming trap
    as it's received by snmptrapd.

    What does this dump look like?

    Dave

  7. a problem about extend mib object

    Hi All,

    I'm using NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB and some shell scripts to extend my agent. All things seem to be ok at first. But when I used a script to make some logical volumn checking(this script need about 2 minute to finish), snmpget report "no response from agent". More wierd is, after that, I can't get any response from the agent any more, even if query a single OID such as .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1 it always report "no response".

  8. a question about agent extend shell script

    Hi All,

    net-snmp agent can be extended by using NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB and adding external shell scripts, but there might exist a problem, that is, if a script which is called by agent includes a long-run operation,(say, 1 or 2 minutes), how to avoid the agent to ignore the subsequent snmp requests in the mean time? I hope net-snmp agent has a mechanics to solve this problem, has it? Thanks!

  9. RE: a question about agent extend shell script

    I do not believe there is any mechanism intrinsic to the agent to do this. Instead, you should extend the agent with a couple of scripts:

    1) Reads the value of the result from a file, initialized to some "reasonable" value. This object can be public.

    2) Starts the script running in the background and returns immediately. The script writes a "start time" and "stop time", each to its own file. The script will not be started if the current "start time" is greater (more recent) than the current "stop time". This object should be restriced.

    3) Forces the script to run regardless of "start time" or "stop time". This is recovery from script crash and should be highly restricted.

    Advanced maneuvers:

    4) Two objects can return the values of "start time" and "stop time" so that an application can tell if the script is currently running (or may have crashed).

    5) Add a "max interval" object. In object (1), if the difference between the current time and "stop time" is greater than "max interval", start the script.

    6) A mutex for the script.

    I leave the rest to your imagination. This type of active management is typical of SNMP, and once you get comfortable with it, has a lot of advantages.

    HTH,

    Mike