RE: snmp_select_info() and changing system time - SNMP

This is a discussion on RE: snmp_select_info() and changing system time - SNMP ; > From: Ray Chang [mailto:RChang@fortresstech.com] > Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:56 PM > (1) Is this actually happening? If it is, I assume it is > harmful, i.e., things will not time out or stay blocked or > stuck ...

  1. RE: snmp_select_info() and changing system time

    Yes, and yes, and, for good measure, DUH!

    > (2) Any way to avoid this problem? I see there is a
    > "HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY" switch, but it doesn't do anything.

    2 ways:

    - Reboot.

    - (recommended) Don't do that.

    If you plan to remotely manage your time machine, you'll probably have to write everything from scratch, as ten-month jumps into the past are not within the design scope of any software I have ever encountered.

    HTH,

    Mike

  2. RE: snmp_select_info() and changing system time

    Mike.

    I was thinking wholesale replacing the gettimeofday() call used by
    net-snmp with a software maintained clock that's not affected by linux
    system time (basically a up counter started at bootup). Would it work if
    I don't mind timestamps not matching the wall clock? I sort of suspect
    things are not so simple though...

    Thanks,
    -Ray