Restrict the Agent IP... - SNMP

This is a discussion on Restrict the Agent IP... - SNMP ; Hi All, *********** how to restrict the manager to contact toparticular agent Ip address ? is agentaddress in snmpd.conf is for that* ? I have a requirement , if the snmp agent IP 255.255.255.255 then any snmp manager can connect ...

  1. Restrict the Agent IP...

    Hi All,

    *********** how to restrict the manager to contact toparticular agent Ip address ?
    is agentaddress in snmpd.conf is for that* ?

    I have a requirement , if the snmp agent IP 255.255.255.255 then any snmp manager can connect to our snmp agent . but if the snmp agent is having somedifferent IP like 192.168.1.222 then only this Ip can connect to my agent .

    can you peoples have any idea how to implement this functionality.

    Thanks in Advance ...

    Thanks & Regards
    Amit Kumar

  2. Re: Restrict the Agent IP...

    Amit Kumar wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > how to restrict the manager to contact to particular agent Ip address ?
    > is agentaddress in snmpd.conf is for that ?
    >
    > I have a requirement , if the snmp agent IP 255.255.255.255 then any snmp manager can connect to our snmp agent . but if the snmp agent is having some different IP like 192.168.1.222 then only this Ip can connect to my agent .
    >
    > can you peoples have any idea how to implement this functionality.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance ...
    >
    > Thanks & Regards
    > Amit Kumar

    In addition to firewall rulesets, you could configure the access
    controls in snmpd.conf (see "Access Control" in the snmpd.conf man page
    or http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/man/snmpd.conf.html ), to limit what IPs
    the agent will respond to. Additionally, if you configure an SNMP v3
    user, any connection will be prompted for authentication, using the
    methods you define. There used to be a pretty PDF picture that described
    all of the VACM options, but I don't see where it's gotten off to.
    Probably out of date, but it was a handy reference.

    HTH,

    -=Tom Nail