HP Printer Floating Point Representation - SNMP

This is a discussion on HP Printer Floating Point Representation - SNMP ; Hi, I'm curious if anyone knows how Hewlett-Packard represents floating point values in their printer MIBs. I've opened the Web page of a LaserJet 5550 and can see that the consumable coverage information is a floating point value. I've done ...

  1. HP Printer Floating Point Representation

    Hi,

    I'm curious if anyone knows how Hewlett-Packard represents floating
    point values in their printer MIBs.

    I've opened the Web page of a LaserJet 5550 and can see that the
    consumable coverage information is a floating point value. I've done
    a MIB Walk on the device and searched the content for the coverage
    values but can't find them, presumably because the values are encoded.

    Do you know how the floating points are encoded and the formula for
    encoding/decoding them?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: HP Printer Floating Point Representation

    I wouldn't say that I have the definitive answer but aren't all MIB values
    encoded via the "Basic Encoding Rules" (BER)?

    HM

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm curious if anyone knows how Hewlett-Packard represents floating
    > point values in their printer MIBs.
    >
    > I've opened the Web page of a LaserJet 5550 and can see that the
    > consumable coverage information is a floating point value. I've done
    > a MIB Walk on the device and searched the content for the coverage
    > values but can't find them, presumably because the values are encoded.
    >
    > Do you know how the floating points are encoded and the formula for
    > encoding/decoding them?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: HP Printer Floating Point Representation

    > I wouldn't say that I have the definitive answer but aren't all MIB values
    > encoded via the "Basic Encoding Rules" (BER)?

    Thanks for your response.
    I'm not sure that is the case for floating point numbers, although I
    know Reals are supported. I found this link to a draft for floating
    point support in SNMP written by David Perkins. If possible, I would
    like to find some examples so that I can verify that I know how to
    translate the values correctly.

  4. Re: HP Printer Floating Point Representation

    On Oct 13, 8:51*am, kstoutzenber...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > > I wouldn't say that I have the definitive answer but aren't all MIB values
    > > encoded via the "Basic Encoding Rules" (BER)?

    > Thanks for your response.
    > I'm not sure that is the case for floating point numbers, although I
    > know Reals are supported. *I found this link to a draft for floating
    > point support in SNMP written by David Perkins. *If possible, I would
    > like to find some examples so that I can verify that I know how to
    > translate the values correctly.

    Forgot the link:
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-perkins-float-00

+ Reply to Thread