RE: I have implemted a Vacm table and register to my Subagent(agentx) - SNMP

This is a discussion on RE: I have implemted a Vacm table and register to my Subagent(agentx) - SNMP ; > From: kumar undurthi [mailto:manu1394@gmail.com] > Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 8:48 PM > I have a problem in implementing snmpcommunity and > snmptargetTable etc (access realted tables). "Implement"? These tables are already implemented for the agent. If you are ...

  1. RE: I have implemted a Vacm table and register to my Subagent(agentx)

    "Implement"? These tables are already implemented for the agent. If you are attempting to implement your own version, you are doomed. If you are attempting to configure the existing tables, read on...

    > My requirement
    > is I have to implement those table so the while run time , I
    > can configure the snmp-agent by creating a new rows for the
    > access controling Tables (snmpCommuntiyTable,
    > snmpTargetAddTable ,vacm etc )

    This is part of the specification for these tables, and is an achievable goal. You will, however, need to understand the interactions between the various tables.

    > so by default the snmpd will take a access configuration
    > form snmpd.conf file , so how to reset those snmpd.conf data
    > by using snmpcommunitytable etc.., how to replace those
    > snmpd.conf or how to use the snmpcommunitytable,
    > snmpaddressTable , vacm, etc. to have access control along
    > with or without snmpd.conf access support.

    This is part of normal operations. Most likely you are making common mistakes, but we will need details.

    > Please give me some idea to solve this problem.

    Please post your snmpd.conf and all the commands you execute trying to configure it, up to the first command that, in your view, "fails".

    Thanks,

    Mike

  2. RE: I have implemted a Vacm table and register to my

    The attachment did not arrive. You may need to jar it up or add a harmless extension, like ".dat", to get it through.

    > snmpd.conf file I am using "public" as community string , so
    > my agent and subagent will start with that snmpd.conf, (
    > by using :: snmpd -Lo -f -c /path/snmpd.conf ). Later I
    > will start my subagent ( ./subagent1 ) .
    > After ...some time..i will get a callback call
    > which was implemented to get some VACM access related objects , eg:
    > communitystring access subOID Max
    > private_vlindia include
    > .1.3.6 80
    > private_vlus exclude
    > .1.3.6 80

    What do you mean by "callback call"? An snmpget request?

    > So I have implemented snmpcommunitytabel and
    > VacmaccessTable, TargetAddexttable etc..(access realated

    "Implemented"? Wrote your own? Don't do that!

    > tables) and able to register with Subagent . After that I
    > did snmpwalk to snmpcommunityTable and it gives list of
    > objects "private_vlindia and private_vlus "
    >
    > I tried:
    > [manu@localhost ~]$
    > snmpwalk -v2c -On -c public localhost
    > SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB::snmpCommunityTable
    >
    > .1.3.6.1.6.3.18.1.1.1.2.64.83.84.66.99.111.110.102 .105.103.95.
    > 48 = STRING: "private_vlindia"
    >
    > .1.3.6.1.6.3.18.1.1.1.2.64.83.84.66.99.111.110.102 .105.103.95.
    > 49 = STRING: "private_vlus"

    This would be a valid walk of snmpCommunityName, or a walk of a broken snmpCommunityTable. Did you really cut-n-paste this?

    > I tried: snmpwalk -v2c -On -c public
    > localhost SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrTable
    > .1.3.6.1.6.3.12.1.2 = No
    > Such Object available on this agent at this OID

    Looks like you don't have permission to access that object, or your new version doesn't have anything in it. Hard to tell, really, by this point. I still don't know what you're working with.

    HTH,

    Mike