Question on MIB Text Files - SNMP

This is a discussion on Question on MIB Text Files - SNMP ; Hi, I am using Net SNMP for all the management purposes in our project but there exists a stringent memory constraint. Net SNMP, by default, while installing installs the MIB text files under usr/local/share/snmp/mibs. Also, while starting it looks for ...

  1. Question on MIB Text Files

    Hi,
    I am using Net SNMP for all the management purposes in our project but
    there exists a stringent memory constraint. Net SNMP, by default, while
    installing installs the MIB text files under usr/local/share/snmp/mibs.
    Also, while starting it looks for all the MIB text (*MIB*.txt) files and
    load it. These MIB files are more than 1.5 MB, due to space constraint,
    I want to override this and get it included while compilation only. Is
    it possible to do that?

    If I don't copy these MIB files onto the target machine and start SNMP,
    it throws an error "Error in loading MIB files". I guess these files are
    required only during boot time.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Rajesh G
    SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
    -------------------------
    This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. In
    case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or
    indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are
    requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are
    those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message
    shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication
    Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due
    authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of
    viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
    transmitted by this email

  2. Re: Question on MIB Text Files

    Rajesh Gopalan wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am using Net SNMP for all the management purposes in our project but
    > there exists a stringent memory constraint. Net SNMP, by default, while
    > installing installs the MIB text files under usr/local/share/snmp/mibs.
    > Also, while starting it looks for all the MIB text (*MIB*.txt) files and
    > load it. These MIB files are more than 1.5 MB, due to space constraint,
    > I want to override this and get it included while compilation only. Is
    > it possible to do that?

    I am assuming here that you are referring to the agent code.

    http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ:MIBs_09

    Also, check out the --disable-mibs and --disable-mib-loading in the
    configure options (./configure --help from the top of the source tree).

    Shachar