Question on MIB design for traps - SNMP

This is a discussion on Question on MIB design for traps - SNMP ; Hello! I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for resources on how to properly design MIBs, especially traps. Basically, I have lots of entities, and each entity has lots of fields, each of which can be in a few states ...

  1. Question on MIB design for traps

    Hello!

    I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for resources on how
    to properly design MIBs, especially traps.

    Basically, I have lots of entities, and each entity has lots of
    fields, each of which can be in a few states (often 'BAD' or 'OK')

    It seems I can encode 'entity', 'field', 'value' in a single trap
    and have very few traps defined in my MIB, or I could go the opposite
    extreme and have one trap for every field + value combination (and
    still encode 'entity').

    I'm interested in the preferred design..

    Thanks,
    Ben

    --
    Ben Greear

  2. Re: Question on MIB design for traps

    2008/9/16 Ben Greear :
    > I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for resources on how
    > to properly design MIBs, especially traps.
    >
    > Basically, I have lots of entities, and each entity has lots of
    > fields, each of which can be in a few states (often 'BAD' or 'OK')
    >
    > It seems I can encode 'entity', 'field', 'value' in a single trap
    > and have very few traps defined in my MIB, or I could go the opposite
    > extreme and have one trap for every field + value combination (and
    > still encode 'entity').
    >
    > I'm interested in the preferred design..

    Have a small number of notifications, to indicate a particular
    category of "event", and define these as taking additional
    varbinds ('entity', 'field', 'value') as part of the payload.

    The simplest approach would probably be to have just two traps:
    somethingHasGoneWrong
    and
    doNotWorryEverythingIsSorted

    (though probably with better names!)

    Depending on your environment, it might be worth considering
    a slightly richer set of notifications, but I'd tend to err on the
    side of fewer rather than lots.

    Dave