Contributing to Net-SNMP - SNMP

This is a discussion on Contributing to Net-SNMP - SNMP ; Hi, If I contribute to an open source project, my employer requires me to add a copyright note in the following form to files modified by me: "Copyright , contribution by " Could someone please let me know, if Net-SNMP ...

  1. Contributing to Net-SNMP

    Hi,

    If I contribute to an open source project, my employer requires me to
    add a copyright note in the following form to files modified by me:

    "Copyright , contribution by "

    Could someone please let me know, if Net-SNMP community will accept
    such contributions ?

    Thanks,
    Ravindra

  2. Re: Contributing to Net-SNMP

    Also, please let me know, if there are any kind of legal requirements
    for the contributions made from corporates.

    Thanks,
    Ravindra

    On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Ravindra wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > If I contribute to an open source project, my employer requires me to
    > add a copyright note in the following form to files modified by me:
    >
    > "Copyright , contribution by "
    >

    > Could someone please let me know, if Net-SNMP community will accept
    > such contributions ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ravindra

  3. RE: Contributing to Net-SNMP

    > From: Ravindra [mailto:kravindra@gmail.com]

    > Also, please let me know, if there are any kind of legal requirements
    > for the contributions made from corporates.

    > > If I contribute to an open source project, my employer requires me

    > > add a copyright note in the following form to files modified by me:
    > >
    > > "Copyright , contribution by "

    I see some scattered copyright statements in the 5.4.1 code
    immediately available to me, but all seem to be covered in one or more
    of the sections below:

    http://www.net-snmp.org/about/license.html

    Various copyrights apply to this package, listed in various separate
    parts
    below. Please make sure that you read all the parts. Up until 2001,
    the project was based at UC Davis, and the first part covers all code
    written during this time. From 2001 onwards, the project has been
    based at SourceForge, and Networks Associates Technology, Inc hold the
    copyright on behalf of the wider Net-SNMP community, covering all
    derivative work done since then. An additional copyright section has
    been added as Part 3 below also under a BSD license for the work
    contributed by Cambridge Broadband Ltd. to the project since 2001.
    An additional copyright section has been added as Part 4 below also
    under a BSD license for the work contributed by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    to the project since 2003.

    Code has been contributed to this project by many people over
    the years it has been in development, and a full list of contributors
    can be found in the README file under the THANKS section.

    ---- Part 1: CMU/UCD copyright notice: (BSD like) -----

    Copyright 1989, 1991, 1992 by Carnegie Mellon University

    Derivative Work - 1996, 1998-2000
    Copyright 1996, 1998-2000 The Regents of the University of California

    All Rights Reserved

    Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
    documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
    provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies and
    that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
    supporting documentation, and that the name of CMU and The Regents of
    the University of California not be used in advertising or publicity
    pertaining to distribution of the software without specific written
    permission.

    CMU AND THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA DISCLAIM ALL
    WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED
    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL CMU OR
    THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL,
    INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING
    FROM THE LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF
    CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
    CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

    ---- Part 2: Networks Associates Technology, Inc copyright notice (BSD)
    -----

    Copyright (c) 2001-2003, Networks Associates Technology, Inc
    All rights reserved.

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
    met:

    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

    * Neither the name of the Networks Associates Technology, Inc nor the
    names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote
    products derived from this software without specific prior written
    permission.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS
    IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
    TO,
    THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
    PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR
    CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
    EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
    PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
    PROFITS;
    OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
    WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
    OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
    ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

    ---- Part 3: Cambridge Broadband Ltd. copyright notice (BSD) -----

    Portions of this code are copyright (c) 2001-2003, Cambridge Broadband
    Ltd.
    All rights reserved.

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
    met:

    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

    * The name of Cambridge Broadband Ltd. may not be used to endorse or
    promote products derived from this software without specific prior
    written permission.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER ``AS IS'' AND ANY
    EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
    IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
    PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE
    LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
    CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
    SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
    BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
    WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
    OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
    IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

    ---- Part 4: Sun Microsystems, Inc. copyright notice (BSD) -----

    Copyright (c) 2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4150 Network Circle, Santa
    Clara,
    California 95054, U.S.A. All rights reserved.

    Use is subject to license terms below.

    This distribution may include materials developed by third parties.

    Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo and Solaris are trademarks or
    registered
    trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
    met:

    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

    * Neither the name of the Sun Microsystems, Inc. nor the
[...]

    ---- Part 5: Sparta, Inc copyright notice (BSD) -----

    Copyright (c) 2003-2006, Sparta, Inc
    All rights reserved.

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
    met:

    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

    * Neither the name of Sparta, Inc nor the names of its contributors may
[...]

    ---- Part 6: Cisco/BUPTNIC copyright notice (BSD) -----

    Copyright (c) 2004, Cisco, Inc and Information Network
    Center of Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications.
    All rights reserved.

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
    met:

    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

    * Neither the name of Cisco, Inc, Beijing University of Posts and
    Telecommunications, nor the names of their contributors may
[...]

    ---- Part 7: Fabasoft R&D Software GmbH & Co KG copyright notice (BSD)
    -----

    Copyright (c) Fabasoft R&D Software GmbH & Co KG, 2003
    oss@fabasoft.com
    Author: Bernhard Penz

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
    met:

    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

    * The name of Fabasoft R&D Software GmbH & Co KG or any of its
    subsidiaries,
    brand or product names may not be used to endorse or promote products

    derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER ``AS IS'' AND ANY
    EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
    IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
    PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE
    LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
    CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
    SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
    BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
    WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
    OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
    IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

    The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting all copies. Thank you.

  4. Re: Contributing to Net-SNMP

    2008/9/15 Ravindra :
    > If I contribute to an open source project, my employer requires me to
    > add a copyright note in the following form to files modified by me:
    >
    > "Copyright , contribution by "
    >
    > Could someone please let me know, if Net-SNMP community will accept
    > such contributions ?

    That's fine - there would be no problem about including such a
    copyright acknowledgement within the affected files. If you wish,
    this can also be recognised in the top-level COPYING file.

    > Also, please let me know, if there are any kind of legal requirements
    > for the contributions made from corporates.

    The only requirement would be for your contributions to be released
    under a BSD-style licence (or something equivalent). We cannot
    accept contributions that would impose additional restrictions on
    how other people might legitimately use the Net-SNMP package.
    That basically excludes the GPL or similar.

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and am speaking in a purely personal
    capacity describing my best understanding. You may wish to
    consult your employer's legal team for a informed advice.

    Dave