"Access denied" trying to do an SNMP SET using HP OpenView MIB browser on local machine - SNMP

This is a discussion on "Access denied" trying to do an SNMP SET using HP OpenView MIB browser on local machine - SNMP ; Gurus, I am getting an "Access denied" trying to do an SNMP SET for any MIB variable on my local (not remote) machine. I am logged on as a Administrator (Windows Server 2003), using HP OpenView MIB browser. Thoughts? -- ...

  1. "Access denied" trying to do an SNMP SET using HP OpenView MIB browser on local machine

    --
    Spin

  2. Re: "Access denied" trying to do an SNMP SET using HP OpenView MIBbrowser on local machine

    On 11 Sep, 18:35, "Spin" wrote:
    > Gurus,
    >
    > I am getting an "Access denied" trying to do an SNMP SET for any MIB
    > variable on my local (not remote) machine. I am logged on as a
    > Administrator (Windows Server 2003), using HP OpenView MIB browser.
    > Thoughts?

    Your SNMP set would normally go via IP rather than the Windows
    (authenticated) mechanisms. Maybe the access denied is coming from
    SNMP rather than Windows. Do you have the read/write community string
    specified rather than just the read-only one?

  3. Re: "Access denied" trying to do an SNMP SET using HP OpenView MIB browser on local machine

    I do have the read/write community string specified. Do you think it's a
    matter of bad NTFS permissions on the folder in which the .mib file resides?

  4. Re: "Access denied" trying to do an SNMP SET using HP OpenView MIBbrowser on local machine

    On 13 Sep, 19:44, "Spin" wrote:
    > I do have the read/write community string specified. Do you think it's a
    > matter of bad NTFS permissions on the folder in which the .mib file resides?

    You could test that simply by reading/opening the mib file. Your snmp
    client shouldn't be trying to write to any local mib files.

    Another option: Not all SNMP objects are writable even with the read-
    write commuinity string. Check that what you are trying to write to is
    writable. IIRC HP OpenView's mib browser does show which is which.

+ Reply to Thread