RE: Net SNMP usage problem with prior installation - SNMP

This is a discussion on RE: Net SNMP usage problem with prior installation - SNMP ; > From: net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net > [mailto:net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net] On > Behalf Of Mohan M > Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 4:52 PM > I am sorry if I am writing such a lengthy mail, ...and repeating it. Weekend ain't the busy time on ...

  1. RE: Net SNMP usage problem with prior installation

    ...and repeating it. Weekend ain't the busy time on a technical mailing list, y'know...

    > but thought
    > it would be helpful for others who might be facing similar problems.

    Could be. You certainly won't hear me complain about detailed explanations and supporting evidence.

    > I observed some problem while installing NET-SNMP on Linux
    > system. I could find solution to some of my problems by
    > searching the mail archives. But I am not sure of whether I
    > have done it properly or not

    Good start.

    > Problem1: NET-SNMP always started with older version
    > When I run /etc/init.d/snmpd start, in the /var/log/messages
    > it always used to say NET SNMP started 5.1...
    > But I did the complete installation for 5.4.2 (No problem
    > with ./configure + make + make install)

    This means that you already had a net-snmp installation before you installed the new one. It appears that installation was installed as part of the OS, which means that components were not installed in the same place as the default install, and therefore are not overwritten by the new install. You must remove the OS installed snmp, preferrably before installing the new version.

    > To overcome this problem, I tried to put this path in snmpd
    > (/etc/init.d/snmpd) /usr/local/bin path instead of /usr/sbin
    > which had my old snmpd binary.

    That might work for some things, but it is unlikely that all processes will pick up a pathing that puts /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/sbin.

    > After this when i start snmpd, I see in the /var/log/messages
    > the daemon started in version 5.4.2
    >
    > My question are?
    >
    > a) will this approach cause any problem?

    Yep.

    > b) How can I completely remove my old NET-SNMP installation
    > which is somewhere 5.1..

    That's OS dependent, but look for your system package manager (yum, pkg, ports, etc.). The entry is typically titlewd "snmp", "net-snmp", or "snmpd".

    > c) Why doesn't NET-SNMP installation remove or rewrite old
    > snmpd/snmptrapd binaries which are pre-existing in the
    > system? Or copy these binaries /usr/sbin in addition to other
    > destination.

    Early experiments in package auto-removal in unix style systems were disastrous. It was realized that only the system operator (that's you) knows whether or not the package should be removed.

    > (Anyway two instances of net-snmp can not exist)

    Yes they can, if you know what you're doing.

    > Problem 2: All tokens are displayed as unknown
    >
    > After doing this if I invoke snmpd I get warning for all
    > tokens as unknown (like rocommunity, rwcommunity,
    > defalutmonitor, linkupdownnotofication, proc... and the list
    > continues)
    > Why I am gettting this? If I list the list of installed
    > modules, I get a huge list. I think there is basic module
    > which is missing? But could not figure which module is that.

    My guess is that /usr/local/bin/snmpd (isn't it /usr/local/sbin/snmpd?) is linking to the libraries in /usr/lib instead of /usr/local/lib. Did you even add /usr/local/lib to your dynamic library path environment variable?

    Get rid of that old install and try again.

    > Problem 3: Understanding the complex world of SNMP configuration

    Everyone has this problem...

    > First of all I did not understand the difference b/w
    > snmp.conf and snmpd.conf? Can someone tell whats the
    > significance of these two files.

    The snmp.conf file applies to command line tools only, i.e. snmp commands and applications, not agents. The snmpd.conf files (there are two) apply to snmpd only. The snmptrapd.conf file applies to snmptrapd only.

    > Why do we need two seperate files.

    Simple - different apps have different purposes. It is the two snmpd.conf files that will really drive you nuts.

    > Whats the difference b/w SNMP daemon and SNMP agent running
    > on the system.

    They are the same thing - "daemon" is the unix term and "agent" is the SNMP term.

    > One more strange observation is that net snmp requires the
    > above configuration files in many locations as told in FAQ.
    > Sometimes these files are overwritten by daemon/agent (I
    > really dont know) and the files become "socket files" with
    > the following content
    > There is no such file or device.

    Sounds like misconfiguration or bad linkage.

    HTH,

    Mike

  2. RE: Net SNMP usage problem with prior installation

    That is expected behavior, including the fact that it may assert and reset alarms more than once during startup, so don't react to them immediately - wait until they've been up for awhile (you'll need to tune the value of "awhile").

    > Otherwise however long I wait (> 25 minutes) I dont get any
    > traps even when I stop the httpd process many times and wait
    > for the trap?
    > Can you let me know what could be wrong!!

    Dude....

    [SNIP manpage="snmp.conf" section="proc"]
    Note: This situation will not automatically trigger a trap to
    report the problem - see the DisMan Event MIB section
    later.
    [/SNIP]

    Congrats on getting this far, tho'.

    Mike