RE: How do I detect kill -9 snmpd? - SNMP

This is a discussion on RE: How do I detect kill -9 snmpd? - SNMP ; > From: net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net > [mailto:net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net] On > Behalf Of Vahid K > Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 12:35 PM > I'm using Redhat and Suse Enterprise versions of Linux. I > have a generic question about snmpd. I have a ...

  1. RE: How do I detect kill -9 snmpd?

    Basically, no. Signal 9 is uninterceptable. That's it's point and purpose. It should nevert be used for routine shutdown, only as a last resort. Agents killed with this signal will not send traps to indicate they are going down, which is why a good NMS never relies solely on traps.

    HTH,

    Mike

  2. RE: How do I detect kill -9 snmpd?

    To the point, the subagent probably should not concern itself with these things. Remember that there may be any number of subagents connected to a master, and therefore it is bad form for a subagent to attempt to alter the master. You should be able to detect a failed master when connecting via TCP and attempt reconnection, but the subagent should *not* attempt to restart the master - that job belongs to the NMS, application monitoring system, or whichever the end sysyop decides to use. I don't know if a subagent connected on a unix domain socket will notice if the master fails, but that shouldn't matter, since the socket will persist..? If the subagent is compiled into the master, it will never see the master fail.

    HTH,

    Mike

  3. Re: How do I detect kill -9 snmpd?

    2008/9/10 Vahid K :
    > Thanks for the response Mike. Just for clarification...
    > Am I to understand that there is no way to detect snmpd is dead from inside
    > the snmp subaganet? In that case I could call send_v2trap() and wouldn't
    > know snmpd is gone. correct?

    Assuming the main agent has the sysname oid enabled you could on a
    periodic basic do a get for that OID... as I'm assuming the sub-agent
    is running on the same hardware as the master this wouldn't be a
    significant overhead for the network or the agents.

    --
    Richard Horton
    Users are like a virus: Each causing a thousand tiny crises until the

  4. RE: How do I detect kill -9 snmpd?

    Bad assumption. You're also assuming the subagent would have credentials to talk to the master agent. Bad assumption. Subagents should not need to know anything about their masters. I may sound a bit tautological, but there are valid operational reasons for this principle. Trust experience and suffer less.

    HTH,

    Mike