Re: problem using ports other than 161/162 - SNMP

This is a discussion on Re: problem using ports other than 161/162 - SNMP ; >>>>> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:18:40 -0600, Daniel Gibby said: DG> This also works and gives same info: DG> snmpwalk -Os -c public -v 1 localhost:10161 system DG> sysName.0 = STRING: mymachine.com If that works and: DG> But, I ...

  1. Re: problem using ports other than 161/162

    DG> This also works and gives same info:
    DG> snmpwalk -Os -c public -v 1 localhost:10161 system
    DG> sysName.0 = STRING: mymachine.com

    If that works and:

    DG> But, I still can't snmp walk from the remote network...
    DG> snmpwalk -Os -c public -v 1 MY_REMOTE_IP:10161 system
    DG> Timeout: No Response from MY_REMOTE_IP:10161

    That doesn't then the ISP is likely blocking incoming packets (and nmap
    can get confused by that).

    You could try TCP instead, or TCP through an ssh tunnel.
    --
    Wes Hardaker
    Sparta, Inc.

  2. Re: problem using ports other than 161/162

    2008/9/4 Daniel Gibby :
    > I just changed the server to listen on tcp, how do I test it with
    > snmpwalk via tcp?

    snmpwalk ..... tcp:host:10161

    Dave

  3. Re: problem using ports other than 161/162

    Thanks for the tip, it does seem to do something, but times out and
    gives no response received...
    Maybe I'm not understanding what the snmptrap is for and the protocol
    isn't working correctly.

    I can telnet (I'm using tcp now, remember?) to port 10161 and port 10162
    from either machine, but snmpwalk times out.

    What amazes me is how hard it has been finding any help or howtos or
    someone writing down on the Internet how they have done this in the past.
    I've tried dozens of searches, including things like

    Thanks,
    Daniel