RE: unknown user name - SNMP

This is a discussion on RE: unknown user name - SNMP ; > From: net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net > [mailto:net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net] On > Behalf Of /xig???? > Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:41 AM > I have used "net-snmp-config --create-snmpv3-user > -ro -A mypassword -a MD5 newnewuser" > > when I use "snmpget -v 3 -l ...

  1. RE: unknown user name

    The command probably failed because you got your a & A flags reversed. It should be:

    $ net-snmp-config --create-snmpv3-user -ro -a mypassword -A MD5 newnewuser

    ...but, trying that, I have the same problem you did. I get lines telling me that the createUser command is being entered, and have verified that it is indeed entered, but it seems the user is not actually being created. I will try this again once I update to the latest.

    HTH,

    Mike

  2. Re: unknown user name

    MA> $ net-snmp-config --create-snmpv3-user -ro -a mypassword -A MD5 newnewuser

    MA> ...but, trying that, I have the same problem you did. I get lines
    MA> telling me that the createUser command is being entered, and have
    MA> verified that it is indeed entered, but it seems the user is not
    MA> actually being created. I will try this again once I update to the
    MA> latest.

    You can look in the /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf file to see if a line
    actually got added. Do this before the agent starts up though.
    --
    Wes Hardaker
    Sparta, Inc.

  3. RE: unknown user name

    I did. It does. Attempts to use this user for authorized operations fail with "unknown user". I'll update and try again.

    Thanks,

    Mike