Re: Is it possible to retrieve one ROW of a table only? - SNMP

This is a discussion on Re: Is it possible to retrieve one ROW of a table only? - SNMP ; On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:01:18PM -0700, Need Help wrote: > I can not figure out which SNMP command will allow me to query one complete row of data from a table only. > > For example, assume my ...

  1. Re: Is it possible to retrieve one ROW of a table only?

    On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:01:18PM -0700, Need Help wrote:
    > I can not figure out which SNMP command will allow me to query one complete row of data from a table only.
    >
    > For example, assume my table has 10 rows in it with 20 columns for each row..* How can I query row #7 to get all 20 columns of data?

    I don't believe there is an obvious way to solve this obvious problem:
    you can walk a table easily by column, but not by row. If you know the
    index, you can snmpget col1.7 col2.7 col3.7 col4.7 etc. and I think they
    can be put in a single request.

    You and everybody else wishes it were trivial to do what you're asking.

    Steve

    --
    Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant | UNIX Wizard | +1 714 544-6561
    www.unixwiz.net | Tustin, Calif. USA | Microsoft MVP | steve@unixwiz.net

  2. Re: Is it possible to retrieve one ROW of a table only?

    Steve Friedl wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:01:18PM -0700, Need Help wrote:
    >> I can not figure out which SNMP command will allow me to query one complete row of data from a table only.
    >>
    >> For example, assume my table has 10 rows in it with 20 columns for each row..? How can I query row #7 to get all 20 columns of data?

    > I don't believe there is an obvious way to solve this obvious problem:
    > you can walk a table easily by column, but not by row. If you know the
    > index, you can snmpget col1.7 col2.7 col3.7 col4.7 etc. and I think they
    > can be put in a single request.
    >
    > You and everybody else wishes it were trivial to do what you're asking.
    >
    > Steve

    That's the way, indeed...

    I've been using this to extract the most recent log entries from an L700e storage library:

    Normally, with normal networking kit, I'd tuck in a little sysUpTime.0 at the front, but this
    is an odd piece of kit - the ip personality module implements only the l700 mib, no mib-2
    or anything, ergo no timestamp.

    #! /bin/ksh93

+ Reply to Thread