Re: 127.0.0.1 = localhost?! - SNMP

This is a discussion on Re: 127.0.0.1 = localhost?! - SNMP ; 2008/9/3 Ricardo Schmidt : > Sb could reply me what the error below means: > # /usr/sbin/snmpd -f -Le : > Error opening specified endpoint "127.0.0.1" > Server Exiting with code 1 It probably means that there's something else already ...

  1. Re: 127.0.0.1 = localhost?!

    :
    > Error opening specified endpoint "127.0.0.1"
    > Server Exiting with code 1

    It probably means that there's something else already listening
    on port 161 on that interface. (Most likely another SNMP agent
    is running, and listening on all interfaces).

    The other option would be if the agent was running as a
    non-privileged process, so couldn't open (privileged) port 161.
    But if you're starting things as root, then that's less likely.

    I'd check for the presence of another SNMP agent.

    Dave

  2. Re: 127.0.0.1 = localhost?!

    > The other option would be if the agent was running as a
    > non-privileged process, so couldn't open (privileged) port 161.
    > But if you're starting things as root, then that's less likely.
    >
    > I'd check for the presence of another SNMP agent.

    A useful tip - if you find you can't attach to a given port is to run
    lsof -i -P and see what processes have which ports in use...

    (Or run a netstat -a | more and see what netstat thinks is open).

    --
    Richard Horton
    Users are like a virus: Each causing a thousand tiny crises until the