Host only responding from localhost for snmp public queries - SNMP

This is a discussion on Host only responding from localhost for snmp public queries - SNMP ; I'm having a rather strange issue, probably simple enough for me to slap myself in the head when I find out what is actually wrong here. I have a linux ubuntu 64 (8.04) host that I recently enabled snmpd on ...

  1. Host only responding from localhost for snmp public queries

    I'm having a rather strange issue, probably simple enough for me to
    slap myself in the head when I find out what is actually wrong here.
    I have a linux ubuntu 64 (8.04) host that I recently enabled snmpd on
    for monitoring by nagios. In the past this has usually been all the
    configuration that I've needed to do to monitor a few basic stats.
    I've done more than that on a few of our hosts, manually adding MIBs
    and OIDs that we needed for special reasons, so I'm not exactly a
    neophyte to working with this.

    However when our nagios implentation guy added this host, it's unable
    to connect to snmpd. I tried an 'snmpwalk -v 1 -c public hostip' and
    verified that it is timing out. Yet when I do it from the localhost
    on that machine things are and I see all of the stats that I should.
    I tried going in and adding more to the 'agentaddress' line; namely
    agentaddress 161@eth0/localhostip. All that did was break it
    completely for localhost and other hosts. It seems the default was
    working better, and that it should work for nonlocal hosts as well.

    I've checked and iptables is clean on this machine; there is no
    firewalling blocking port 161 on our LAN, either.

    Does anybody have any ideas of what else I could check on this issue?
    I'm at a loss here.

    Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

    -Damon Getsman
    ITrx Admin/Programmer

  2. Re: Host only responding from localhost for snmp public queries

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 at 10:23 -0000, Damon Getsman wrote:

    > Does anybody have any ideas of what else I could check on this issue?
    > I'm at a loss here.

    This is where wireshark/tcpdump can be useful. Do you see the
    the agent? Do you see the response on the manager?

  3. Re: Host only responding from localhost for snmp public queries

    Can you see if the snmpd is binded to the address 127.0.0.1:161 or
    localhost:161 or it is binded to :161 ?
    In the first two cases, may be that you can query the agent only from
    localhost.

    Giampiero.

    Damon Getsman wrote:
    > I'm having a rather strange issue, probably simple enough for me to
    > slap myself in the head when I find out what is actually wrong here.
    > I have a linux ubuntu 64 (8.04) host that I recently enabled snmpd on
    > for monitoring by nagios. In the past this has usually been all the
    > configuration that I've needed to do to monitor a few basic stats.
    > I've done more than that on a few of our hosts, manually adding MIBs
    > and OIDs that we needed for special reasons, so I'm not exactly a
    > neophyte to working with this.
    >
    > However when our nagios implentation guy added this host, it's unable
    > to connect to snmpd. I tried an 'snmpwalk -v 1 -c public hostip' and
    > verified that it is timing out. Yet when I do it from the localhost
    > on that machine things are and I see all of the stats that I should.
    > I tried going in and adding more to the 'agentaddress' line; namely
    > agentaddress 161@eth0/localhostip. All that did was break it
    > completely for localhost and other hosts. It seems the default was
    > working better, and that it should work for nonlocal hosts as well.
    >
    > I've checked and iptables is clean on this machine; there is no
    > firewalling blocking port 161 on our LAN, either.
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas of what else I could check on this issue?
    > I'm at a loss here.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.
    >
    > -Damon Getsman
    > ITrx Admin/Programmer

+ Reply to Thread