    --
    Spin

  2. Re: SNMP query question

    On 2008-08-08, Spin wrote:
    > Gurus,
    >
    > Can you help break something down for me? System A sends an SNMP GET
    > request to system B. Questions:
    >
    > 1) Must the SNMP service be running on System A or can an application do
    > this?
    > 2) Must the SNMP service on be running on System B in order to answer or can
    > another service or daemon answer the SNMP query?

    Your cross-posting leads me to believe that you're referring to the
    Microsoft Windows SNMP service. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
    I'm no Microsoft expert, but these are my experiences after developing
    an SNMP agent for Windows systems.

    If the SNMP service is running on a machine, it usually occupies the
    standard SNMP agent listener port, 161.

    It will work perfectly fine to disable the SNMP service and then start
    any other SNMP agent on that port. If you want both running at the
    same time, you'll have to use different ports.

    So, to answer your questions:

    1. The SNMP service is not required in order to send SNMP messages.
    Another application would just open a socket and start sending packets
    without depending on the service.

    2. Any SNMP agent application will be able to take care of incoming
    SNMP messages, as long as they are able to open a network socket on
    the appropriate port. The SNMP service is not required, and in fact
    you may have to stop the service to free port 161.

    --
    Joel Hansell
    Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed

  3. Re: SNMP query question

    On Aug 7, 8:43*pm, "Spin" wrote:
    > Gurus,
    >
    > Can you help break something down for me? *System A sends an SNMP GET
    > request to system B. *Questions:
    >
    > 1) Must the SNMP service be running on System A or can an application do
    > this?

    An application can do this. Google for "SNMP Agent" to find some APIs
    for creating such applications, etc.

    > 2) Must the SNMP service on be running on System B in order to answer or can
    > another service or daemon answer the SNMP query?

    See above.

    Sean

+ Reply to Thread