what does a peer have to register? - SNMP

This is a discussion on what does a peer have to register? - SNMP ; When a peer uses smux to register a mib with snmpd what does it need to register? Is it sufficient to just register the oid of the mib or must it also register the oid of each variable in the ...

  1. what does a peer have to register?

    When a peer uses smux to register a mib with snmpd what does it need to
    register? Is it sufficient to just register the oid of the mib or must
    it also register the oid of each variable in the mib?

    A few more details:

    I'm trying to debug an existing peer, it has two mibs. It registers just
    the oid's of each mib, it does not register the variables inside each
    mib. Using debug output from both snmpd and the peer I can see that the
    mib registration is successful. However neither snmpwalk nor snmpget
    allows me to see anything inside the mib, just the mib. In looking at
    the code in net-snmp it seems to me a peer must register each variable
    or else it won't been found when the oid's are searched in snmpd. What
    is confusing me is the code which only registers the mibs is claimed to
    have worked (but it does not work for me) which makes me wonder if my
    limited understanding of snmp is flawed or the code is broken because it
    fails to register the variables as well.

    Thanks for the help,

    --
    John Dennis

  2. RE: what does a peer have to register?

    It must register the OID or OIDs for which, and below which it will handle all requests - e.g., if it registers[*] .2.5.7.1.99, then it must handle all requests on OIDs which lexicographically begin with .2.5.7.1.99, including .2.5.7.1.99.1, .2.5.7.1.99.2, .2.5.7.1.99.3.7.2.9.6.7.8.1.5555555.7.0, and .2.5.7.1.99.

    HTH,

    Mike

    * - don't use this obviously contrived OID for anything!