tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD - SNMP

This is a discussion on tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD - SNMP ; I haven't been able to find anything on Google, so hopefully someone here can help me out. Net-SNMP 5.4.1.2 on FreeBSD 7.0. Any snmpwalk that touches the tcpConnTable (1.3.6.1.2.1.6.13) fires off this error in my logs: snmpd[9996]: netsnmp_assert !"cache == ...

  1. tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD

    I haven't been able to find anything on Google, so hopefully someone
    here can help me out.

    Net-SNMP 5.4.1.2 on FreeBSD 7.0.

    Any snmpwalk that touches the tcpConnTable (1.3.6.1.2.1.6.13) fires
    off this error in my logs:

    snmpd[9996]: netsnmp_assert !"cache == valid" failed mibII/tcp.c:218
    tcp_handler()

    The request returns information and it seems accurate. This occurs
    whether the agent is running as root or a neutered pseudo-user. How
    can I fix whatever the problem happens to be?

    Thanks for the help.

    -HKS

  2. Re: tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD

    (private) HKS wrote:
    > Net-SNMP 5.4.1.2 on FreeBSD 7.0.

    Is that your own build or a package provided by FreeBSD ports?
    What's the output of "net-snmp-config --configure-options"?

    +Thomas

  3. Re: tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD

    Installed by FreeBSD ports. Requested output below:

    '--enable-shared' '--enable-internal-md5' '--with-mib-modules= host
    disman/event-mib smux mibII/mta_sendmail mibII/tcpTable
    ucd-snmp/diskio' '--with-default-snmp-version=3'
    '--with-sys-contact=nobody@nowhere.invalid'
    '--with-sys-location=somewhere' '--with-logfile=/var/log/snmpd.log'
    '--with-persistent-directory=/var/net-snmp' '--with-gnu-ld'
    '--with-libwrap' '--with-libs=-lm -lkvm -ldevstat'
    '--with-dummy-values' '--enable-embedded-perl' '--with-perl-modules'
    '--enable-ipv6' '--prefix=/usr/local' '--mandir=/usr/local/man'
    '--infodir=/usr/local/info/' 'i386-portbld-freebsd7.0' 'CC=cc'
    'CFLAGS=-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe' 'CXXFLAGS=-O2
    -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe' 'CXX=c++' 'LDFLAGS=
    -rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib' 'build_alias=i386-portbld-freebsd7.0'
    'host_alias=i386-portbld-freebsd7.0'
    'target_alias=i386-portbld-freebsd7.0'

    I'm running it with the following options:
    /usr/local/sbin/snmpd -c /usr/local/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf -p
    /var/run/snmpd.pid -C -LS 5 d -I -smux

    And my config file:
    ------------
    agentuser snmp
    agentgroup kmem

    agentaddress 127.0.0.1,10.123.0.19

    rocommunity 127.0.0.1
    rocommunity 10.123.0.0/24

    syslocation ""
    syscontact ""
    ------------

    -HKS

    On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Thomas Anders
    wrote:
    > (private) HKS wrote:
    >> Net-SNMP 5.4.1.2 on FreeBSD 7.0.

    > Is that your own build or a package provided by FreeBSD ports?
    > What's the output of "net-snmp-config --configure-options"?
    >

    > +Thomas
    >
    > --
    > Thomas Anders (thomas.anders at blue-cable.de)

  4. Re: tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD

    (private) HKS wrote:
    > Installed by FreeBSD ports. Requested output below:

    The ports package is believed to ship with custom patches. Could you please build a stock 5.4.2.rc1 (to be released anytime soon) and check whether it has the same problem?

    +Thomas

  5. Re: tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD

    Didn't happen with rc1.

    Is this something I can troubleshoot any further, or is it pretty much
    in the port-maintainer's hands?

    -HKS

    On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Thomas Anders
    wrote:
    > (private) HKS wrote:
    >> Installed by FreeBSD ports. Requested output below:

    > The ports package is believed to ship with custom patches. Could you please build a stock 5.4.2.rc1 (to be released anytime soon) and check whether it has the same problem?
    >

    > +Thomas
    >
    > --
    > Thomas Anders (thomas.anders at blue-cable.de)

  6. Re: tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD

    (private) HKS wrote:
    > Didn't happen with rc1.
    >
    > Is this something I can troubleshoot any further, or is it pretty much
    > in the port-maintainer's hands?

    Report to him and copy the list, so that everyone can contribute and/or learn.

    +Thomas

  7. Re: tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD

    Hello,

    I'm sending this to you as you're listed as the FreeBSD ports
    maintainer for net-snmp. The net-snmp-users mailing list is CC'd.

    Thanks for getting this out there for us FreeBSD users. I've run into
    an error message when running 5.4.1.2 on FreeBSD 7.0. The message does
    not appear when tested with a manually compiled 5.4.2.rc1.

    Any snmpwalk that touches the tcpConnTable (1.3.6.1.2.1.6.13) fires
    off this error in my logs:

    snmpd[9996]: netsnmp_assert !"cache == valid" failed mibII/tcp.c:218
    tcp_handler()

    The request returns information and it seems accurate. This occurs
    whether the agent is running as root or a neutered pseudo-user.

    Can you shed any light on this? Is there something simple I'm overlooking here?

    Thanks for the help.

    -HKS

    On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Thomas Anders
    wrote:
    > (private) HKS wrote:
    >> Didn't happen with rc1.
    >>
    >> Is this something I can troubleshoot any further, or is it pretty much
    >> in the port-maintainer's hands?

    > Report to him and copy the list, so that everyone can contribute and/or learn.
    >

    > +Thomas
    >
    > --
    > Thomas Anders (thomas.anders at blue-cable.de)

  8. Re: tcp_handler() error on FreeBSD

    FYI for anyone who's experiencing the same thing, I've still not been
    able to track this down. If you find anything, let me know.

    -HKS