SNMP Mananger/NMS options - SNMP

This is a discussion on SNMP Mananger/NMS options - SNMP ; All, Since this list deals the closest with what I am after, I am asking here, not for specific net-snmp support, but more for options that are out there. I am after an NMS that works like Spectrum, or HP ...

  1. SNMP Mananger/NMS options

    All,

    Since this list deals the closest with what I am after, I am asking
    here, not for specific net-snmp support, but more for options that are
    out there. I am after an NMS that works like Spectrum, or HP Openview to
    be able to manage a medium LAN/WAN infrastructure using primarily SNMP.
    I have played with Nagios, Zabbix, BigSister, a little with Hobbit, and
    while they aren't bad, they are overly Dependant on agent software being
    installed, instead of true SNMP primary based management. Agents on my
    local systems aren't bad, but my WAN locations aren't my systems, and I
    only have R/O on them to be able to ensure that services are up and
    direct communication to the owners that there is a problem with service
    connections into, and out of my network segment.

    Thanks in advance,
    Seann

  2. Re: SNMP Mananger/NMS options

    Hi Seann,

    On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Seann Clark
    wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Since this list deals the closest with what I am after, I am asking
    > here, not for specific net-snmp support, but more for options that are
    > out there. I am after an NMS that works like Spectrum, or HP Openview to
    > be able to manage a medium LAN/WAN infrastructure using primarily SNMP.
    > I have played with Nagios, Zabbix, BigSister, a little with Hobbit, and
    > while they aren't bad, they are overly Dependant on agent software being
    > installed, instead of true SNMP primary based management. Agents on my
    > local systems aren't bad, but my WAN locations aren't my systems, and I
    > only have R/O on them to be able to ensure that services are up and
    > direct communication to the owners that there is a problem with service
    > connections into, and out of my network segment.

    Small correction, many of the packages you listed can work with SNMP
    , I have done extensive SNMP management with Nagios and offer a
    number of examples of SNMP plugins in a book I recently wrote for
    Syngress (won't plug the book here) .. there are also a large number
    of SNMP plugins available for Nagios.

    - Max

  3. Re: SNMP Mananger/NMS options

    Max wrote:
    > Hi Seann,
    >
    > On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Seann Clark
    > wrote:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> Since this list deals the closest with what I am after, I am asking
    >> here, not for specific net-snmp support, but more for options that are
    >> out there. I am after an NMS that works like Spectrum, or HP Openview to
    >> be able to manage a medium LAN/WAN infrastructure using primarily SNMP.
    >> I have played with Nagios, Zabbix, BigSister, a little with Hobbit, and
    >> while they aren't bad, they are overly Dependant on agent software being
    >> installed, instead of true SNMP primary based management. Agents on my
    >> local systems aren't bad, but my WAN locations aren't my systems, and I
    >> only have R/O on them to be able to ensure that services are up and
    >> direct communication to the owners that there is a problem with service
    >> connections into, and out of my network segment.
    >>

    > Small correction, many of the packages you listed can work with SNMP
    > , I have done extensive SNMP management with Nagios and offer a
    > number of examples of SNMP plugins in a book I recently wrote for
    > Syngress (won't plug the book here) .. there are also a large number
    > of SNMP plugins available for Nagios.
    >
    > - Max

    I have had a very good time with Nagios, all in all, it is just insanely
    config file intensive, which is something that I find hard to deal with
    if my network were to change. I love how you can split and clone
    services and groups with it, I just have a hard time getting it all
    going off the bat, and getting good plug-ins to work can be trying as
    well. I have a Cisco 1750, and 3500 monitored by Nagios on my network,
    but I am looking into something that can provide a little more to me,
    like netflow/sflow aggregation and traffic graphs in the same GUI front
    end as the monitoring (Like mashing Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix, and
    Bigsister/Hobbit all together) Which may be what I end up doing after I
    get it all playing and working.

    Outside of that, I like some of the features, like the network outage,
    and the network map windows, though if those could automatically
    generate (the maps) it would be more useful for me(but that is another
    project). Zabbix does an SNMP discovery which I like as well since it
    takes the by hand config time down (especially when mapping remote
    networks that may change)

    ~Seann

  4. Re: SNMP Mananger/NMS options

    Seann Clark wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Since this list deals the closest with what I am after, I am asking
    > here, not for specific net-snmp support, but more for options that are
    > out there. I am after an NMS that works like Spectrum, or HP Openview to
    > be able to manage a medium LAN/WAN infrastructure using primarily SNMP.
    > I have played with Nagios, Zabbix, BigSister, a little with Hobbit, and
    > while they aren't bad, they are overly Dependant on agent software being
    > installed, instead of true SNMP primary based management. Agents on my
    > local systems aren't bad, but my WAN locations aren't my systems, and I
    > only have R/O on them to be able to ensure that services are up and
    > direct communication to the owners that there is a problem with service
    > connections into, and out of my network segment.

    OpenNMS (http://www.opennms.org) does about everything you could want in
    terms of monitoring, recording, and notifications.

    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

  5. Re: SNMP Mananger/NMS options

    Les Mikesell wrote:
    > Seann Clark wrote:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> Since this list deals the closest with what I am after, I am asking
    >> here, not for specific net-snmp support, but more for options that are
    >> out there. I am after an NMS that works like Spectrum, or HP Openview to
    >> be able to manage a medium LAN/WAN infrastructure using primarily SNMP.
    >> I have played with Nagios, Zabbix, BigSister, a little with Hobbit, and
    >> while they aren't bad, they are overly Dependant on agent software being
    >> installed, instead of true SNMP primary based management. Agents on my
    >> local systems aren't bad, but my WAN locations aren't my systems, and I
    >> only have R/O on them to be able to ensure that services are up and
    >> direct communication to the owners that there is a problem with service
    >> connections into, and out of my network segment.
    >>

    > OpenNMS (http://www.opennms.org) does about everything you could want in
    > terms of monitoring, recording, and notifications.

    openNMS looks like a good bet.... if I knew Java, it would be better,
    instead I am stuck with Java errors as it tries to start... time to
    change to their support list...

    Outside of that it sounds like a great choice for my NMS solution.

    Regards,
    Seann

  6. Re: SNMP Mananger/NMS options

    Seann Clark wrote:

    >>> Since this list deals the closest with what I am after, I am
    >>> asking here, not for specific net-snmp support, but more for options
    >>> that are out there. I am after an NMS that works like Spectrum, or HP
    >>> Openview to be able to manage a medium LAN/WAN infrastructure using
    >>> primarily SNMP. I have played with Nagios, Zabbix, BigSister, a
    >>> little with Hobbit, and while they aren't bad, they are overly
    >>> Dependant on agent software being installed, instead of true SNMP
    >>> primary based management. Agents on my local systems aren't bad, but
    >>> my WAN locations aren't my systems, and I only have R/O on them to be
    >>> able to ensure that services are up and direct communication to the
    >>> owners that there is a problem with service connections into, and out
    >>> of my network segment.
    >>>

    >> OpenNMS (http://www.opennms.org) does about everything you could want
    >> in terms of monitoring, recording, and notifications.
    >>

    > openNMS looks like a good bet.... if I knew Java, it would be better,
    > instead I am stuck with Java errors as it tries to start... time to
    > change to their support list...
    >

    > Outside of that it sounds like a great choice for my NMS solution.

    The best bet is to use a linux platform that matches their packaged
    versions. I use Centos5 and using yum to install from their 'unstable'
    repository works fine - and includes the otherwise missing Sun Java that
    it needs. Regardless of how you install (or update) you do need to run
    their install script that creates or updates the postgresql database,
    though.

    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

  7. Re: SNMP Mananger/NMS options

    Les Mikesell wrote:

    >>> OpenNMS (http://www.opennms.org) does about everything you could want
    >>> in terms of monitoring, recording, and notifications.
    >>>

    >> openNMS looks like a good bet.... if I knew Java, it would be better,
    >> instead I am stuck with Java errors as it tries to start... time to
    >> change to their support list...
    >>

    >> Outside of that it sounds like a great choice for my NMS solution.
    >>

    > The best bet is to use a linux platform that matches their packaged
    > versions. I use Centos5 and using yum to install from their 'unstable'
    > repository works fine - and includes the otherwise missing Sun Java that
    > it needs. Regardless of how you install (or update) you do need to run
    > their install script that creates or updates the postgresql database,
    > though.

    I did the Yum install, after finding it on their site (and one for
    Fedora 9) and went through all the steps. I am getting an error with
    Java dealing with CAPS now though.

    Regards,
    Seann