    From: net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net
    [mailto:net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
    Furnish, Trever G
    Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 7:04 PM
    To: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
    Subject: control the order in which mibs are loaded?

    Hello,

    Is there any way to control the order in which MIBs are loaded? Is
    there a way to see the order?

    I'm having a heck of a time getting snmptrapd or snmptranslate to turn
    traps from our UPS into human-readable output. The readme file that
    comes with the package of Liebert MIBs (which includes their own version
    of the RFC1628 UPS MIB) notes that all of the "LIEBERT*" MIBs must be
    loaded before the one for RFC1628, but I haven't found anything in the
    man pages suggesting how to control the loading order.

    Software is Net-SNMP 5.3.1 on RHEL5 64-bit. I've put in a simple trap
    handler that just dumps the output from snmptrapd into a log file with a
    datestamp and it's printing stuff like this for the test traps I'm
    sending to it:

    Datestamp: Fri Jul 18 17:35:20 2008
    Trap:
    UDP: [192.168.10.249]:4999
    DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance 10:22:34:13.05
    SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.2.0.3
    SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.1.28 28
    SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.2.28 SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.3.6
    SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB::snmpTrapAddress.0 192.168.10.249
    SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB::snmpTrapCommunity.0 "hj-net"

    Datestamp: Fri Jul 18 17:35:20 2008
    Trap:
    UDP: [192.168.10.249]:4999
    DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance 10:22:34:13.16
    SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.2.0.3
    SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.1.29 29
    SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.2.29 SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.3.18
    SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB::snmpTrapAddress.0 192.168.10.249
    SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB::snmpTrapCommunity.0 "hj-net"

    Datestamp: Fri Jul 18 17:35:21 2008
    Trap:
    UDP: [192.168.10.249]:4999
    DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance 10:22:34:13.21
    SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.2.0.3
    SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.1.30 30
    SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.2.30 SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.3.10

    --
    Trever Furnish, tgfurnish@herffjones.com

    challenge
    prizes
    Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
    world

  2. RE: control the order in which mibs are loaded?

    None documented.

    > Is
    > there a way to see the order?

    None t5hat I know of, but if you crank the debugging all the way up, you'll probably see it in there somewhere.

    > Thoughts?

    If you're concerned about matching output, use -On. If you want to control MIB loading order for any other reason, then you're probably doing something wrong.

    HTH,

    Mike

  3. RE: control the order in which mibs are loaded?

    That does help, thanks. At least it keeps me from continuing to look
    for a switch I'm missing in the manual pages.

    All I'm actually trying to do is to have a trap that comes in get turned
    into something more human-friendly, but when I try to translate output
    using snmptranslate I'm just not getting what I'd hoped for. Any idea
    what I'm doing wrong here? Is the MIB to blame, or (more likely) am I?

    An example from the snmptranslate man page shows a full description of
    system.sysDescr being dumped in response to snmptranslate -Td -OS
    system.sysDescr. By contrast, when I try to translate what I'm
    interested in:

    snmptranslate -IR -Td -OS SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.2.48

    ....I only get this:
    SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.2.48
    mib-2 OBJECT-TYPE
    -- FROM SNMPv2-SMI, RFC1213-MIB
    ::= { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) mgmt(2) mib-2(1) 33 1 6 2 1 2 48
    }

    I *think* this should translate as:
    mib-2
    .33 --> upsMIB (aka rfc1628)
    .1 --> upsObjects
    .6 --> upsAlarm
    .2 --> upsAlarmTable
    .1 --> upsAlarmEntry
    .2 --> upsAlarmDescr
    .48 --> ...I'm a little fuzzy on how to read this part...

    I'd love to get that automatically turned into a description for the
    alarm.

    It's not just this particular trap that I can't get translated --
    doesn't look like anything from mib-2.33 down gets translated. That's
    where the rfc1628 mib is rooted (sorry if I'm misusing the term :-( ).

    Any advice from anyone? Does anyone have the rfc1628 mib getting
    translated fully? Am I just hoping for something that net-snmp doesn't
    do?

    --
    Trever

  4. Re: control the order in which mibs are loaded?

    Furnish, Trever G wrote:
    > snmptranslate -IR -Td -OS SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.2.48
    >
    > ...I only get this:
    > SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.33.1.6.2.1.2.48

    I haven't followed this thread too closely, admittedly, but it sounds as
    if you're after "-mall". See
    http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.p...pplications_02 for more details.

    +Thomas

  5. RE: control the order in which mibs are loaded?

    > From: net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net
    > Behalf Of Furnish, Trever G

    > It's not just this particular trap that I can't get translated --
    > doesn't look like anything from mib-2.33 down gets translated. That's
    > where the rfc1628 mib is rooted (sorry if I'm misusing the term :-( ).

    Do you have a copy of this MIB in a file in a directory in your MIBDIRS path and MIBS set to "all"? The net-snmp package ships with many standard MIBs, but not all of them.

    HTH,

    Mike