Best way to monitor 600 cable modem devices - SNMP

This is a discussion on Best way to monitor 600 cable modem devices - SNMP ; Hi I was wondering what is the best way to monitor 600 cable modem devices, every 10 seconds ? what about the performance? The idea is to know the most real time possible monitor if those devices are online or ...

  1. Best way to monitor 600 cable modem devices

    Hi

    I was wondering what is the best way to monitor 600 cable modem
    devices, every 10 seconds ? what about the performance?

    The idea is to know the most real time possible monitor if those
    devices are online or offline and to put it into a map. I ask about a
    tool and the list told me OpenNMS as a solution.

    Thanks in advanced

  2. Re: Best way to monitor 600 cable modem devices

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Carlos Alberto Bernat Orozco wrote:

    > Hi
    >

    > I was wondering what is the best way to monitor 600 cable modem

    Can you use Broadcast/Multicast, or does it have to be unicast packets?
    If so, You'll want to develop a custom multi-threaded daemon instead of
    the standard Nagios + check_snmp model. The overhead of the forking model
    gives flexibility, not performance.

    ~BAS

    > devices, every 10 seconds ? what about the performance?
    >
    > The idea is to know the most real time possible monitor if those

  3. Re: Best way to monitor 600 cable modem devices

    Hi Group

    Thanks Bryan for the answer. I'm kind of a newbie. I haven't used snmp
    until I installed cacti to monitor some routers which I believed is
    awesome.

    How can I know when to use multicast/broadcast vs. unicast? Is there
    any parameter on the net-snmp package files where I can fix this?

    If so, for what I understand, is better to use unicast?

    Sorry for so many questions. Hope not disturbing.

    Thanks in advanced