> From: net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net
> Behalf Of Lewis, Debbie

> I would like to be able to configure the engine id being
> sent out to be fixed and have tried using the engineIDType 1
> to use the IP address of the local machine, this works when I
> set it in the snmpd.conf file for commands like snmpwalk but
> I still get random engine ids when I set it in snmptrapd.conf.

I think you are getting confused here. For SNMP operations - get, get-next, etc., the authoritative engine is the engine receiving the commands, so the discovery operation will be performed and the PDU will contain the engine ID of the target system, i.e. snmpd, which is constant. For SNMPv3 traps, the authoritative engine is the engine *sending* the trap, so, for the nonpersistent snmptrap command, a new engine ID must be generated for each invocation unless the "-e" flag is used. For SNMPv3 informs, the authoritative engine is the engine *receiving* the inform, so the discovery operation will be performed and the PDU will contain the engine ID of the target system, i.e. snmpd, which is constant.

> Is there any way to fix the engineId being used in the
> snmptrap command other than by specifying it on the command
> line with the -e option?

Send them as informs.

HTH,

Mike