snmp.agent on windows crashes - SNMP

This is a discussion on snmp.agent on windows crashes - SNMP ; Hello, what can be the reason for a crash in the windows net-snmp agent? this is the error message: The application, C:\usr\bin\snmpd.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 07/23/2008 @ 15:49:09.121 The exception generated was c0000005 at address ...

  1. snmp.agent on windows crashes

    Hello,

    what can be the reason for a crash in the windows net-snmp agent?

    this is the error message:

    The application, C:\usr\bin\snmpd.exe, generated an application error
    The error occurred on 07/23/2008 @ 15:49:09.121 The exception
    generated was c0000005 at address 0107392B (APCSnmp!SnmpExtensionTrap)

    It seems to crash by the first snmpwalk, i think the timeout is
    because it crashed there:

    SNMPv2-MIB::snmpSilentDrops.0 = Counter32: 0
    SNMPv2-MIB::snmpProxyDrops.0 = Counter32: 0
    Timeout: No Response from 192.168.48.21
    [root@monitoring:/www/cacti]# snmpwalk -v 2c -c snmp 192.168.48.21

    thx

    ..rupertt

  2. Re: snmp.agent on windows crashes

    It looks like you are using the winExtDLL snmpd agent as a replacement
    for the Microsoft SNMP agent and you have APC UPS software installed.
    Are you using 5.4.1.2 on Windows? What APC software are you using?

    Alex

    Heiko wrote:
    > what can be the reason for a crash in the windows net-snmp agent?
    >
    > this is the error message:
    >
    > The application, C:\usr\bin\snmpd.exe, generated an application error
    > The error occurred on 07/23/2008 @ 15:49:09.121 The exception
    > generated was c0000005 at address 0107392B (APCSnmp!SnmpExtensionTrap)

  3. Re: snmp.agent on windows crashes

    On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:41 AM, Alex Burger
    wrote:

    > It looks like you are using the winExtDLL snmpd agent as a replacement for
    > the Microsoft SNMP agent and you have APC UPS software installed. Are you
    > using 5.4.1.2 on Windows? What APC software are you using?
    >
    > Alex

    Hi Alex,

    I am using the APC "Power Chute Bussines Edition" and
    net-snmp-5.4.1-3.win32.exe.
    I followd the guide in the link below, they say I have to install the
    windows snmp but disable the service:

    http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

    i disabled the APC SNMP Feature, but the net-snmp Agent is still crashing.
    Even if I stop all the APC Services the net-snmp crashes.

    Is there a way to keep the APC Power Chute installed and use net-snmp?

    greetings

    ..rupertt

    > Heiko wrote:
    >>
    >> what can be the reason for a crash in the windows net-snmp agent?
    >>
    >> this is the error message:
    >>
    >> The application, C:\usr\bin\snmpd.exe, generated an application error
    >> The error occurred on 07/23/2008 @ 15:49:09.121 The exception
    >> generated was c0000005 at address 0107392B (APCSnmp!SnmpExtensionTrap)

  4. Re: snmp.agent on windows crashes

    Hi.

    I installed PowerChute Business Edition Basic v 7.0.5 on Windows 2000
    and had the same problem. I don't see anything wrong with the winExtDLL
    module that would be causing this.

    If you don't need the APC SNMP agent, then you can remove it from the
    registry so that Net-SNMP doesn't load it. Delete the value
    'SOFTWARE\APC\PowerChute Business Edition\agent\snmp' from
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parame ters\ExtensionAgents.

    Another option is to install the regular version of the Net-SNMP agent,
    change the port that the Microsoft agent listens on and configure a
    proxy in Net-SNMP. This is described in the 'Co-existence with
    Microsoft SNMP services' section of README.win32.

    Alex