syntax of mib txt files - SNMP

This is a discussion on syntax of mib txt files - SNMP ; Hello! I am a newbie in SNMP. can you please help to find out an answer on some questions? NET-SNMP is distributed with MIB data bases which is in ${PREFIX}/snmp/mibs/ path, as far as I understand. My question is what ...

  1. syntax of mib txt files

    Hello!
    I am a newbie in SNMP. can you please help to find out an answer on
    some questions?
    NET-SNMP is distributed with MIB data bases which is in
    ${PREFIX}/snmp/mibs/ path, as far as I understand. My question is what
    is syntax used for these files? ASN.1? or the syntax is mixed with
    ASN.1?

    I would like to learn the syntax to write my own mibs files... can you
    please give me a link to quick user guide or something like? if
    anybody meets something like...

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    /BR, Alexander

  2. RE: syntax of mib txt files

    The gory details:

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2578.txt?number=2578

    > I would like to learn the syntax to write my own mibs files... can you
    > please give me a link to quick user guide or something like? if
    > anybody meets something like...

    I don't think there's an easy route, since syntax writing is so unforgiving. Studying RFC2578 and then "lifting" bits from existing MIBs seems to be the common strategy. I recommend studying some RFC based MIBs, as you will get a concise, reviewed description of the behavior coupled with a reviewed and test MIB definition. The VACM and USM MIBs have lots of interesting behavior and syntax.

    HTH,

    Mike

  3. Re: syntax of mib txt files

    Hello!