Snmpnetstat problem - SNMP

This is a discussion on Snmpnetstat problem - SNMP ; Hello, I have a problem when I use snmpnetstat it only show stats from pure ipv4 connections, for example: http is bind to listen :::80, snmpnetstat command won't list any connections to http. I have try many different versions and ...

  1. Snmpnetstat problem

    Hello,

    I have a problem when I use snmpnetstat it only show stats from pure ipv4
    connections, for example: http is bind to listen :::80, snmpnetstat command
    won't list any connections to http.

    I have try many different versions and they all seems to fail. This is
    problem with CentOS 5.2, Fedora x, Ubundu so I don't think it's nothing to
    do with distro. I also did try to rebuild netsnmp from sources and make sure
    all ipv6 features are on but still fails.

    Pelikaista / Mediatraffic Oy
    Jani Partanen
    System administrator
    tel. +358 505 817 817
    e-mail: jiipee@pelikaista.net jiipee@sotapeli.fi

  2. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    So nobody have any solution for this?

    Is it bug?
    Is it user error?
    Is it distro problem?
    Is it feature?

    There must be somebody who can give an answer

    // JiiPee

  3. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    This postlist seems to be dead..

    It's strange because I see stable mailflow from this list, but if I need
    support, I don't get it.

    Seems to be waste of time to hang around here, so goodbye and thank you much
    for help!

    // JiiPee

  4. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    Define dead. I'm getting 20+ messages a day. If you don't see anything you may have a problem with an intermediary mailer.

    > It's strange because I see stable mailflow from this list,
    > but if I need
    > support, I don't get it.

    You're asking about snmpnetstat over IPv6. That's two lesser used features in combination. It may be that none of use have done it, or those who have are a bit busy at the moment. Noone's getting paid so you take what you can get... sorry.

    Mike

  5. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    > > This postlist seems to be dead..
    >
    > Define dead. I'm getting 20+ messages a day. If you
    > don't see anything you may have a problem with an intermediary mailer.

    It was sarcasm

    > > It's strange because I see stable mailflow from this list, but if I
    > > need support, I don't get it.

    > You're asking about snmpnetstat over IPv6. That's two
    > lesser used features in combination. It may be that none of
    > use have done it, or those who have are a bit busy at the
    > moment. Noone's getting paid so you take what you can get... sorry.

    No, I ask snmpnetstat queries over IPv4 what won't list anything related to
    IPv6

    [jiipee@rottelo ~]$ snmpnetstat -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost -Can
    -Cp tcp |wc -l && netstat -ant | wc -l
    136
    167

    [jiipee@rottelo ~]$ snmpnetstat -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost -Can
    -Cp tcp |wc -l && netstat -ant | wc -l && netstat -ant | grep '::' | wc -l
    175
    207
    32
    [jiipee@rottelo ~]$ expr 207 - 32
    175

    So my question remains: Is it bug, feature or user error?

    Snmpnetstat does take -Cp tcp6 as option, but result is nothing.
    Tested with v5.3.1 and 5.4.1
    Checked fedora/centos source package and all ipv6 stuff seems to be
    selected.

    //JiiPee

  6. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    Bad phrasing on my part. It should have read, "snmpnetstat over IPv6." The rest remains.

    > So my question remains: Is it bug, feature or user error?

    I don't know, myself - I don't use either of those features, sorry.

    > Snmpnetstat does take -Cp tcp6 as option, but result is nothing.

    Then there's probably a bug somewhere, but I'm not sure. You should determine what queries snmpnetstat is generating (ethereal can do thid, I think) and check those MIBs - they may not support IPv6 on your platform.

    HTH,

    Mike

  7. Re: Snmpnetstat problem

    2008/7/18 Jani Partanen :
    > ... when I use snmpnetstat it only show stats from pure ipv4
    > connections, for example: http is bind to listen :::80, snmpnetstat command
    > won't list any connections to http.

    This may be a silly question, but have you checked that the agent
    does actually implement the ipv6TcpConnTable ? Try running
    'snmpgetnext' on this table.
    If the agent doesn't report the necessary information, then
    obviously 'snmpnetstat' can't display it!

    > I also did try to rebuild netsnmp from sources and make sure
    > all ipv6 features are on but still fails.

    Which version of the code did you use?
    How did you run 'configure'?

    Check the 'agent/mibgroup/mibII' directory in the source tree,
    after having compiled the agent. Does this include the object
    file for 'ipv6.o' ?

    Dave

  8. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    > This may be a silly question, but have you checked that the agent
    > does actually implement the ipv6TcpConnTable ? Try running
    > 'snmpgetnext' on this table.
    > If the agent doesn't report the necessary information,
    > then obviously 'snmpnetstat' can't display it!

    It return one line as expected, also there is quite mush all kind of fancy
    ipv6 stuff in mib tree:
    [jiipee@rottelo ~]$ snmpwalk -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost|grep
    ipv6|wc -l
    781

    > Which version of the code did you use?

    CentOS 5.2 distribute 5.3.1 and Fedora 9 comes with 5.4.1 both fails

    > How did you run 'configure'?

    Build section from net-snmp.spec file:

    %build
    %ifarch ia64 x86_64 s390x ppc64
    export LDFLAGS="-L%{_libdir}"
    %endif
    export LIBDIR="%{_libdir}"
    MIBS="host agentx smux \
    ucd-snmp/diskio tcp-mib udp-mib mibII/mta_sendmail \
    ip-mib/ipv4InterfaceTable ip-mib/ipv6InterfaceTable \
    ip-mib/ipAddressPrefixTable/ipAddressPrefixTable \
    ip-mib/ipDefaultRouterTable/ipDefaultRouterTable \
    ip-mib/ipv6ScopeZoneIndexTable ip-mib/ipIfStatsTable"
    INTEL_ONLY_MIBS="ucd-snmp/lmSensors disman/event-mib"
    %configure \
    --enable-static --enable-shared \
    --with-cflags="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -g -lcrypto" \
    --with-ldflags="$LDFLAGS" \
    --with-sys-location="Unknown" \
    --with-logfile="/var/log/snmpd.log" \
    --with-persistent-directory="/var/net-snmp" \
    %ifarch %{ix86} x86_64
    --with-mib-modules="$MIBS $INTEL_ONLY_MIBS" \
    %else
    --with-mib-modules="$MIBS" \
    %endif
    %if %{tcp_wrappers}
    --with-libwrap=%{_libdir} \
    %endif
    --sysconfdir=%{_sysconfdir} \
    --enable-ipv6 \
    --enable-ucd-snmp-compatibility \
    --with-openssl \
    --with-pic \
    --enable-embedded-perl \
    --enable-mfd-rewrites \
    --enable-local-smux \
    --with-sys-contact="root@localhost" <
    EOF

    > Check the 'agent/mibgroup/mibII' directory in the source
    > tree, after having compiled the agent. Does this include the
    > object file for 'ipv6.o' ?

    Yes it's there.

    //JiiPee

  9. Re: Snmpnetstat problem

    2008/7/25 Jani Partanen :
    >> This may be a silly question, but have you checked that the agent
    >> does actually implement the ipv6TcpConnTable ? Try running
    >> 'snmpgetnext' on this table.
    >> If the agent doesn't report the necessary information,
    >> then obviously 'snmpnetstat' can't display it!

    > It return one line as expected

    What does it return?
    "as expected" is a little vague :-)

    > also there is quite mush all kind of fancy ipv6 stuff in mib tree:
    > [jiipee@rottelo ~]$ snmpwalk -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost|grep
    > ipv6|wc -l
    > 781

    What is the result of the command

    snmpgetnext -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost ipv6TcpConnTable

    ?

    >> How did you run 'configure'?

    > MIBS="host agentx smux \
    > ucd-snmp/diskio tcp-mib udp-mib mibII/mta_sendmail \
    > ip-mib/ipv4InterfaceTable ip-mib/ipv6InterfaceTable \
    > ip-mib/ipAddressPrefixTable/ipAddressPrefixTable \
    > ip-mib/ipDefaultRouterTable/ipDefaultRouterTable \
    > ip-mib/ipv6ScopeZoneIndexTable ip-mib/ipIfStatsTable"

    Note that this list does not actually include 'mibII/ipv6'
    which is the module that implements the ipv6TcpConnTable

    Dave

  10. Re: Snmpnetstat problem

    Dave Shield wrote:
    > 2008/7/25 Jani Partanen :
    >> MIBS="host agentx smux \
    >> ucd-snmp/diskio tcp-mib udp-mib mibII/mta_sendmail \
    >> ip-mib/ipv4InterfaceTable ip-mib/ipv6InterfaceTable \
    >> ip-mib/ipAddressPrefixTable/ipAddressPrefixTable \
    >> ip-mib/ipDefaultRouterTable/ipDefaultRouterTable \
    >> ip-mib/ipv6ScopeZoneIndexTable ip-mib/ipIfStatsTable"

    > Note that this list does not actually include 'mibII/ipv6'
    > which is the module that implements the ipv6TcpConnTable

    The spec file specifies --enable-ipv6, though, which automagically puts mibII/ipv6 into the module list
    (through agent/mibgroup/mibII.h).

    "net-snmp-config --snmpd-module-list" would tell.

    +Thomas

  11. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    > What is the result of the command
    >
    > snmpgetnext -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost ipv6TcpConnTable

    [jiipee@rottelo ~]$ snmpgetnext -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost
    ipv6TcpConnTable
    TCP-MIB::tcpConnectionState.ipv4."127.0.0.1".143.ipv4."195.12.58.115".35148
    = INTEGER: established(5)

  12. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    Here a long list:
    [jiipee@rottelo ~]$ net-snmp-config --snmpd-module-list
    ucd-snmp/diskio mibII/mta_sendmail
    ip-mib/ipAddressPrefixTable/ipAddressPrefixTable ucd-snmp/lmSensors
    mibII/ipv6 mibII/system_mib mibII/sysORTable mibII/at mibII/ip
    mibII/snmp_mib mibII/tcp mibII/icmp mibII/udp mibII/vacm_vars
    mibII/setSerialNo ucd-snmp/memory ucd-snmp/vmstat ucd-snmp/proc
    ucd-snmp/versioninfo ucd-snmp/pass ucd-snmp/pass_persist ucd-snmp/disk
    ucd-snmp/loadave ucd-snmp/extensible agent/extend ucd-snmp/errormib
    ucd-snmp/file ucd-snmp/dlmod ucd-snmp/proxy ucd-snmp/logmatch
    snmpv3/snmpEngine snmpv3/snmpMPDStats snmpv3/usmStats snmpv3/usmConf
    snmpv3/usmUser notification/snmpNotifyTable
    notification/snmpNotifyFilterProfileTable
    notification-log-mib/notification_log target/snmpTargetAddrEntry
    target/snmpTargetParamsEntry target/target target/target_counters
    agent/nsTransactionTable agent/nsModuleTable agent/nsDebug agent/nsCache
    agent/nsLogging agentx/master agentx/subagent disman/schedule/schedCore
    disman/schedule/schedConf disman/schedule/schedTable utilities/override
    utilities/execute utilities/iquery host/hr_system host/hr_storage
    host/hr_device host/hr_other host/hr_proc host/hr_network host/hr_print
    host/hr_disk host/hr_partition host/hr_filesys host/hr_swrun host/hr_swinst
    smux/smux util_funcs ip-mib/ipv4InterfaceTable/ipv4InterfaceTable
    ip-mib/ipv6InterfaceTable/ipv6InterfaceTable
    ip-mib/ipAddressTable/ipAddressTable
    ip-mib/ipAddressPrefixTable/ipAddressPrefixTable_interface
    ip-mib/ipAddressPrefixTable/ipAddressPrefixTable_data_access mibII/var_route
    mibII/route_write mibII/kernel_linux mibII/ipAddr mibII/tcpTable
    mibII/udpTable mibII/vacm_context mibII/vacm_conf ip-mib/ip_scalars
    header_complex
    snmp-notification-mib/snmpNotifyFilterTable/snmpNotifyFilterTable
    agentx/protocol agentx/client agentx/master_admin agentx/agentx_config
    disman/event/mteScalars disman/event/mteTrigger disman/event/mteTriggerTable
    disman/event/mteTriggerDeltaTable disman/event/mteTriggerExistenceTable
    disman/event/mteTriggerBooleanTable disman/event/mteTriggerThresholdTable
    disman/event/mteTriggerConf disman/event/mteEvent disman/event/mteEventTable
    disman/event/mteEventSetTable disman/event/mteEventNotificationTable
    disman/event/mteEventConf disman/event/mteObjects
    disman/event/mteObjectsTable disman/event/mteObjectsConf
    tcp-mib/tcpConnectionTable/tcpConnectionTable
    tcp-mib/tcpListenerTable/tcpListenerTable
    udp-mib/udpEndpointTable/udpEndpointTable if-mib/data_access/interface
    if-mib/ifTable/ifTable_interface if-mib/ifTable/ifTable_data_access
    if-mib/ifTable/ifTable
    ip-mib/ipv4InterfaceTable/ipv4InterfaceTable_interface
    ip-mib/ipv4InterfaceTable/ipv4InterfaceTable_data_access
    ip-mib/ipv6InterfaceTable/ipv6InterfaceTable_interface
    ip-mib/ipv6InterfaceTable/ipv6InterfaceTable_data_access
    ip-mib/ipAddressTable/ipAddressTable_interface
    ip-mib/ipAddressTable/ipAddressTable_data_access
    ip-mib/inetNetToMediaTable/inetNetToMediaTable
    ip-mib/inetNetToMediaTable/inetNetToMediaTable_interface
    ip-mib/inetNetToMediaTable/inetNetToMediaTable_data_access
    ip-mib/ipSystemStatsTable/ipSystemStatsTable
    ip-mib/ipSystemStatsTable/ipSystemStatsTable_interface
    ip-mib/ipSystemStatsTable/ipSystemStatsTable_data_access
    if-mib/ifXTable/ifXTable ip-forward-mib/ipCidrRouteTable/ipCidrRouteTable
    ip-forward-mib/inetCidrRouteTable/inetCidrRouteTable
    hardware/memory/memory_linux hardware/memory/hw_mem hardware/cpu/cpu_linux
    hardware/cpu/cpu
    snmp-notification-mib/snmpNotifyFilterTable/snmpNotifyFilterTable_interface
    snmp-notification-mib/snmpNotifyFilterTable/snmpNotifyFilterTable_data_acces
    s tcp-mib/data_access/tcpConn_common tcp-mib/data_access/tcpConn_linux
    tcp-mib/tcpConnectionTable/tcpConnectionTable_interface
    tcp-mib/tcpConnectionTable/tcpConnectionTable_data_access
    tcp-mib/tcpListenerTable/tcpListenerTable_interface
    tcp-mib/tcpListenerTable/tcpListenerTable_data_access
    udp-mib/udpEndpointTable/udpEndpointTable_interface
    udp-mib/udpEndpointTable/udpEndpointTable_data_access
    if-mib/data_access/interface_linux if-mib/data_access/interface_ioctl
    ip-mib/data_access/ipaddress_common ip-mib/data_access/ipaddress_linux
    ip-mib/data_access/arp_common ip-mib/data_access/arp_linux
    ip-mib/data_access/systemstats_common ip-mib/data_access/systemstats_linux
    ip-mib/data_access/scalars_linux if-mib/ifXTable/ifXTable_interface
    if-mib/ifXTable/ifXTable_data_access
    ip-forward-mib/ipCidrRouteTable/ipCidrRouteTable_interface
    ip-forward-mib/ipCidrRouteTable/ipCidrRouteTable_data_access
    ip-forward-mib/inetCidrRouteTable/inetCidrRouteTable_interface
    ip-forward-mib/inetCidrRouteTable/inetCidrRouteTable_data_access
    udp-mib/data_access/udp_endpoint_common
    udp-mib/data_access/udp_endpoint_linux ip-mib/data_access/ipaddress_ioctl
    ip-forward-mib/data_access/route_common
    ip-forward-mib/data_access/route_linux
    ip-forward-mib/data_access/route_ioctl

    // JiiPee

  13. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    How about

    $ snmpgetnext -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost ipv6InterfaceTableLastChange

    ?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  14. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    [jiipee@rottelo ~]$ snmpgetnext -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost
    ipv6InterfaceTableLastChange
    IP-MIB::ipv6InterfaceTableLastChange.0 = Timeticks: (0) 0:00:00.00

    // JiiPee

  15. Re: Snmpnetstat problem

    2008/7/25 Jani Partanen :
    >> What is the result of the command
    >>
    >> snmpgetnext -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost ipv6TcpConnTable

    >$ snmpgetnext -v2c -c `cat ~/.community` localhost ipv6TcpConnTable
    > TCP-MIB::tcpConnectionState.ipv4."127.0.0.1".143.ipv4."195.12.58.115".35148
    > = INTEGER: established(5)

    That explains why things aren't working.

    TCP-MIB::tcpConnectionState is part of the
    (version-neutral) TCP-MIB::tcpConnectionTable
    That's not the same as the v6-specific
    IPV6-TCP-MIB::ipv6TcpConnTable, which is
    what the snmpnetstat command is querying.

    Long-term, the answer is probably for snmpnetstat
    to be re-written to use the TCP-MIB table rather
    than the two (older) version-specific tables.

    Dave

  16. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    Is it anything to do with the fact that I'm running IPv6 tunnel, not native
    routed IPv6? Or is it a bug with snmpnetstat?

    Well actually it can't be because of tunnel. I have several boxes where IPv6
    is only enabled and problem exists there also.

    // JiiPee

  17. Re: Snmpnetstat problem

    2008/7/25 Jani Partanen :
    > Is it anything to do with the fact that I'm running IPv6 tunnel,
    > not native routed IPv6?

    No - it's a mismatch between the MIB tables that the
    agent implements, and the tables that snmpnetstat
    is trying to query.

    Dave

  18. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    Okey. So now I just wait that it's fixed. I'm not a coder so can't help with
    that

    // JiiPee

  19. Re: Snmpnetstat problem

    2008/7/25 Jani Partanen :
    > Okey. So now I just wait that it's fixed. I'm not a
    > coder so can't help with that

    I don't know when this will be handled,
    but I've logged it on the project tracker
    system so it won't get forgotten.

    Dave

  20. RE: Snmpnetstat problem

    Ok, thanks.