Re: Make-Error - SNMP

This is a discussion on Re: Make-Error - SNMP ; Phani Chand.Kolli wrote: > I ma getting the following error. > can some one please help me? > > net-snmp-5.4.1.1#make > > "Makefile", line 94: make: 1254-057 Shell command needs a leading tab. What's the OS version? Exact configure command? ...

  1. Re: Make-Error

    Phani Chand.Kolli wrote:
    > I ma getting the following error.
    > can some one please help me?
    >
    > net-snmp-5.4.1.1#make
    >
    > "Makefile", line 94: make: 1254-057 Shell command needs a leading tab.

    What's the OS version? Exact configure command? What version of make (AIX vs. GNU) are you using?
    Please gzip Makefile and post it here.

    +Thomas

  2. Re: Make-Error

    Phani Chand.Kolli wrote:
    > OS:- AIX 5.3
    >
    > /net-snmp-5.4.1.1#make (I am running this after ./configure

    Plain "./configure" without any options? Did you read README.aix in the top-level source directory?

    What about my other request for the gzip'ed Makefile?

    +Thomas

  3. Re: Make-Error

    Phani Chand.Kolli wrote:
    > What about my other request for the gzip'ed Makefile?... can you be
    > eloborate on this. can you let me know where i can find it?

    After running configure you have a file "Makefile" in your top-level source directory.
    Your version of "make" claims there's a syntax error in that file, so it'd make sense to see it.
    Please run "gzip -c Makefile > Makefile.gz" and send Makefile.gz as an email attachment to this list.
    (If you don't have gzip, use compress and send us Makefile.Z.)

    +Thomas

  4. RE: Make-Error

    > From: net-snmp-users-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net
    > Behalf Of Phani Chand.Kolli

    > please guide me if i am doing any thing wrong

    Something's definitely wrong here, but it's not you. Apparently some tool on your machine is converting tabs to spaces (detabifying) when it shouldn't. As a temporary workaround, edit the file by hand and replace the first 8 spaces in the lines listed in the error (ONLY those lines) and try running make again.

    HTH,

    Mike

  5. RE: Make-Error

    [Please send all list correspondence to the list.]

    I'm not sure what the issue is here. It seems you're running AIX native make, which I do not have access to.

    Can anyone on the list make on AIX?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  6. Re: Make-Error

    Mike Ayers wrote:
    >> "makefile", line 94: make: 1254-055 Dependency line needs
    >> colon or double colon operator.

    > I'm not sure what the issue is here. It seems you're running AIX native make, which I do not have access to.
    >
    > Can anyone on the list make on AIX?

    The problem is that all Makefile lines of the form

    target:
    some_command

    have eight spaces before "some_command" instead of a tab. As it is consistent, I suspect a problem in the toolchain on this particular AIX box in combination with autoconf. It'll need some time and energy to find out where exactly. FWIW, I cannot reproduce this problem on my AIX 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 machines at all.

    I propose to run "sh -x configure ..." instead of "configure ..." and log the output to a file, then look in that log file what exact command is used to produce the top-level Makefile.

    +Thomas

  7. Re: Make-Error

    Phani Chand.Kolli wrote:
    > cc -I../include -I. -I../agent -I../agent/mibgroup -I../snmplib
    > -D_ALL_SOURCE -
    >
    > D_ANSI_C_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -qmaxmem=16384 -qnoansialias
    > -DUSE_NATIVE_DLOPEN
    >
    > -DNEED_PTHREAD_INIT -q32 -D_LARGE_FILES -qlonglong
    > -I/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/a
    >
    > ix-thread-multi/CORE -g -Daix5=aix5 -c snmp_perl.c -DPIC -o
    > .libs/snmp_perl.o
    >
    > "/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.h", line 619.16:
    > 1506-007
    >
    > (S) "struct drand48_data" is undefined.

    Please provide your full configure options as well as the output from
    "perl -V" and "uname -a". Did you read and follow README.aix?

    +Thomas

  8. Re: Make-Error

    Phani Chand.Kolli wrote:
    > BRKSVX20e/ul/yyyt158/net-snmp-5.4.1.2#perl -V
    > [...]
    > cc='cc_r', ccflags ='-D_ALL_SOURCE -D_ANSI_C_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -qmaxmem

    [...]
    > > cc -I../include -I. -I../agent -I../agent/mibgroup -I../snmplib
    > > -D_ALL_SOURCE -

    As documented in README.aix, you should build net-snmp with the same compiler Perl had been built with.
    Start from scratch with:

    ./configure --with-cc=cc_r ...

    and report back.

    +Thomas

  9. Re: Make-Error

    Phani Chand.Kolli wrote:
    > BRKSVX20e/ul/yyyt158/net-snmp-5.4.1.2#./configure --with-CC=cc_r...

    --with-cc=cc_r

    Case matters.

    +Thomas

  10. Re: Make-Error

    Phani Chand.Kolli wrote:
    > BRKSVX20e/ul/yyyt158/net-snmp-5.4.1.2#./configure --with-cc=cc_r...
    > [...]
    > checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
    > compiler cannot create executables

    On my AIX 5.3 box, cc_r is in /usr/vac/bin. So either add this directory
    to your PATH or run

    ./configure --with-cc=/usr/vac/bin/cc_r

    If you don't have /usr/vac/bin/cc_r, speak to your system administrator.

    +Thomas