**self-help/DIY NMS fans** What is your next wish in the NMS areana? - SNMP

This is a discussion on **self-help/DIY NMS fans** What is your next wish in the NMS areana? - SNMP ; This is a broad question addressed to consumers of NMS (Network Management Systems) in small to Medium network scenarios. This is a sweeping term that covers IT Network Managers, IT Admins, Network Ops, Cable Operators, Hardware Integrators, Vendors..etc...anyone dealing with ...

  1. **self-help/DIY NMS fans** What is your next wish in the NMS areana?

    This is a broad question addressed to consumers of NMS (Network
    Management Systems) in small to Medium network scenarios. This is a
    sweeping term that covers IT Network Managers, IT Admins, Network Ops,
    Cable Operators, Hardware Integrators, Vendors..etc...anyone dealing
    with Network Management (host side network monitoring or management)
    on a day to day basis in their work life in small / Medium businesses
    (SMB). If you are one, you can respond to this posting.

    I help people who want to write their own NMS, who have some
    application programmers but otherwise lack resources. I want to give
    them components so they are empowered and not spend tens of thousands
    and stay dependenat on a massive feature ladden shrink-wrapped
    software they can buy off the shelf. It can be summarized that
    currently the pet of such a **self-help** framework is resourced by
    components in 2 major categories:

    1. SNMP v1, v2, v3
    2. RMON (1,2)

    With several vendors in this area, the choices are many.

    If you are the kind of DIY NMS consumer I describe above, what would
    do you have the highest on your wish-list, the kind of support you are
    looking for to write ** your own ** NMS? If you want to respond to
    this posting stay on this thread of conversation and also let me know
    what is that you do in your work life (vedor, IT admin, Net Ops, Net
    Manager etc. etc.)

    I look forward to your responses.

    Regards
    Your NMS component developer

  2. Re: **self-help/DIY NMS fans** What is your next wish in the NMS areana?

    On 2008-07-15 15:37:04 -0400, the_sun1947@yahoo.com said:

    > 1. SNMP v1, v2, v3
    > 2. RMON (1,2)

    Drop RMON - old, aged, not that useful anymore - I never quite liked
    the idea of network equipment expending CPU to measure the traffic it's
    passing.

    Five minute averages of anything are not useful - averages aren't a
    reality you can plan on. 20% "average" utilization polled from SNMP
    statistics or similar miss several-second 99% utilization issues that
    crush application performance and perhaps even force them to disconnect.

    Really helpful? Do detailed testing / analysis, even automated, of
    vendor SNMP MIB's, find out what works, what's broken, what's good,
    what's bad, before I plop it into a compiler and find out that some bug
    updates (n) incorrectly. This could even be a good service / business
    model.

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _
    __| |_ __ / _| |_ 01100100 01101101

  3. Re: **self-help/DIY NMS fans** What is your next wish in the NMSareana?

    On Jul 18, 7:12*pm, Digital Mercenary For Honor
    wrote:
    > On 2008-07-15 15:37:04 -0400, the_sun1...@yahoo.com said:
    >
    > > 1. SNMP v1, v2, v3
    > > 2. RMON (1,2)

    > Drop RMON - old, aged, not that useful anymore - I never quite liked
    > the idea of network equipment expending CPU to measure the traffic it's
    > passing.
    >
    > Five minute averages of anything are not useful - averages aren't a
    > reality you can plan on. 20% "average" utilization polled from SNMP
    > statistics or similar miss several-second 99% utilization issues that
    > crush application performance and perhaps even force them to disconnect.
    >
    > Really helpful? Do detailed testing / analysis, even automated, of
    > vendor SNMP MIB's, find out what works, what's broken, what's good,
    > what's bad, before I plop it into a compiler and find out that some bug
    > updates (n) incorrectly. This could even be a good service / business
    > model.
    >
    > /dmfh
    >
    > --
    > * * _ * * * *__ _
    > *__| |_ __ */ _| |_ * * * * * * 01100100 01101101
    > / _` | ' *\| *_| ' \ * * * * * *01100110 01101000
    > \__,_|_|_|_|_| |_||_| * * * * * *dmfh(-2)dmfh.cx

    Hi,

    In the User's perspective the GUI should be faster and efficient.More
    or less the NMS app should cover all the options he expects.Supports
    all platforms,based on standard standard MIBS.....

    Thanks
    Madhav

  4. Re: **self-help/DIY NMS fans** What is your next wish in the NMS areana?

    On 2008-07-18 23:27:57 -0400, Madhav said:

    > In the User's perspective the GUI should be faster and efficient.More
    > or less the NMS app should cover all the options he expects.Supports
    > all platforms,based on standard standard MIBS.....

    Inter-operability and multiple platform support are not that useful
    when the underlying data polled is not useful or broken, and after a
    decade of working with vendor equipment from the "Big Four" : Nortel,
    Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, I've found their SNMP support to be lacking
    and spotty, even for standard MIB-II stuff. Bugs abound.

    Any tool you have is not that useful if the data used to assemble
    analysis or results is flawed. What I'm saying is that one could offer
    extreme value by independently validating the SNMP functionality,
    fully, MIB-item, by MIB-item and produce test results. It would also
    potentially prompt vendors to fix broken things.

    It's about the fundamentals first, not the presentation and analysis
    first, etc.

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _