Re: SNMPD error (ASAP) - SNMP

This is a discussion on Re: SNMPD error (ASAP) - SNMP ; >>>>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 07:20:39 +0530, Umesh Kamath said: UK> couldn't open xyz.abc.att.com:1024 -- errno 227 ("Can't assign requested UK> address") That's an odd error and the text comes from the system failing a DNS lookup most likely. ...

  1. Re: SNMPD error (ASAP)

    UK> couldn't open xyz.abc.att.com:1024 -- errno 227 ("Can't assign requested
    UK> address")

    That's an odd error and the text comes from the system failing a DNS
    lookup most likely. What if you add xyz.abc.att.com to /etc/hosts, will
    it work then? (which is not a good long term solution, but it's a good test).

    UK> 2) I am able to snmpget in local machine . But when i am trying to do
    UK> same thing(snmpget) from remote machine to first machine i am getting
    UK> time out error.

    UK> rocommunity chan2063 abc.xyz.alt.com # abc.xyz.alt.com
    UK> is my remote machine host name from there i am running snmpget command

    I still suspect that DNS is still failing (in this case, you said
    alt.com and above you said att.com...)
    --
    Wes Hardaker
    Sparta, Inc.

  2. RE: SNMPD error (ASAP)

    This should be done via firewall. There is no host filtering mechanism in SNMP, for good reason.

    > 2) I am using "snmpget" command( say from abc machine) to
    > get sysuptime of remote machine(say xyz machine sysuptime).
    > In remote machine (xyz) , i ran snmpd command as
    > /usr/sbin/snmpd -f -Le -d and i have observed that , the
    > "sysuptime snmpget request from abc machine is displayed on
    > screen" but no response from "xyz" machine.

    By "no response", do you mean the request is timing out?

    > I have verified host file in both machine and i observed
    > that, the host file of abc machine has an entry for xyz
    > machine and similarly for host file of xyz machine have an
    > entry for abc machine.

    The "xyz" machine doesn't even need the host entry, as it will respond to the IP address, which it got as part of the request.

    > And also snmp.conf file in xyz
    > machine have entry " rocommunity com_name abc" .

    That needs to be in snmpd.conf, not snmp.conf.

    HTH,

    Mike

  3. RE: SNMPD error (ASAP)

    No. That would only permit you to receives traps from the local host. The most common value for snmpTrapdAddr is 0.0.0.0, which means, "listen on all IPv4 interfaces, including localhost", which means that notifications may be directed to any of the hosts' interfaces, including 127.0.0.1, and be received. For production systems it is common practice to restrict the listening to a single back end network interface so traffic from the internet at large is summarily ignored.

    This has nothing to do with which hosts may send notifications to your listener. The only mechanism to screen IP addresses is the "authCommunity" statement - see the snmptrapd.conf man page for details.

    HTH,

    Mike