Re: SNMP Agent and Element Management System - SNMP

This is a discussion on Re: SNMP Agent and Element Management System - SNMP ; Vishal Nandanwar wrote: > Hi, > > Do anybody knows any kind of Element Management System(EMS)? I want one > EMS which will talk with SNMP agent. > An EMS is typically a custom application for a product or product ...

  1. Re: SNMP Agent and Element Management System

    Vishal Nandanwar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Do anybody knows any kind of Element Management System(EMS)? I want one
    > EMS which will talk with SNMP agent.

    An EMS is typically a custom application for a product or product line. The
    principle jobs of an EMS are to:

    - manage N devices (e.g., 1000 base stations)
    - configure a device
    - maintain current state information about the device
    - backup and restore of configuration and software loads on the device
    - manage remote logs (typically syslog) from a device

    Thats the bare minimum. Often alarm management is added in, but since that
    overlaps with Network Management System (NMS) responsibility it can be an added
    complexity to the product that isn't necessary.

    I don't think you are going to find an off the shelf product that meets your
    needs. Every EMS I've come across has been a custom job.

    --
    Glenn McAllister +1 416 348 1594
    SOMA Networks, Inc. http://www.somanetworks.com/ +1 416 977 1414

  2. Re: SNMP Agent and Element Management System

    Today the most commonly used protocol for network management is Simple Network Management Protocol or SNMP in short. SNMP protocol is widely deployed and supports the remote monitoring and management of the network from a centralized Network Operating Center (NOC). It is a reasonable technology for many network management tasks, but it has its limitations. In many cases, the SNMP based solution cannot be fully implemented without the implementation of proprietary MIBs.

    To know more, visit the below link
    http://www.dhyanit.com/newsletter/oct_08/index.html

  3. Re: SNMP Agent and Element Management System

    Hi Vishal,
    While all NE's come with their own NMS/EMS,
    you also have a option of using the generic SNMP for managing your network element,also you can try out TL1 which is very widely used for various elements
    grep for TL1 on google
    KR
    d_graffias

+ Reply to Thread