decreasing the memory footprint - SNMP

This is a discussion on decreasing the memory footprint - SNMP ; Hey everyone, I have been trying to drop the memory footprint of net-snmp for about a week now for an embedded systems project. I am using Net-SNMP V5.4.1.2. The size started at 2196KB and my end goal is to have ...

  1. decreasing the memory footprint

    Hey everyone,

    I have been trying to drop the memory footprint of net-snmp for about
    a week now for an embedded systems project. I am using Net-SNMP
    V5.4.1.2. The size started at 2196KB and my end goal is to have it
    under 500KB. After running this configuration:

    ../configure
    --enable-mini-agent
    --with-defaults
    --with-cflags"-Os"
    --with-out-mib-modules="snmpv3mibs"
    --disable-manuals
    --disable-privacy
    --disable-des
    --disable-md5
    --disable-debugging
    --disable-embedded-perl
    --enable-fast-install
    --without-kmem-usage
    --without-rpm
    --disable-snmptrapd-subagent
    --with-out-transports="Unix"

    After running this the footprint is 1680KB. Still way to high for my
    use, but I think there is more I can take out and I just can't find
    it. Any recommendations or suggestions? Also, I am going to have to
    run the snmptrapd too and that takes up a ton of memory as well. I
    haven't attempted to cut that down yet, but if anyone knows how I
    would greatly appreciate the info.

    On a side note, when I add in --disable-md5, I receive "Encryption
    support not enabled." three times after I run any net-snmp command.
    It can just be snmpwalk and that happens. Am I missing a flag to tell
    net-snmp I am not using md5? I thought just disabling it would take
    care of this.

    Another question: I won't be using any of snmpv3. Would it be better
    for me to try an earlier version of net-snmp? Has the memory size
    gone up a lot since ucd?

    Thanks you for any input,

    Jacob

  2. Re: decreasing the memory footprint

    A couple of updates:

    I have done a couple dozen compilations, keeping track of options,
    snmpd filesize, and snmpd memory footprint. Here are my results:

    ../configure
    --with-cflags="-Os"
    --enable-mini-agent
    --disable-applications
    --disable-des
    --disable-debugging
    --disable-embedded-perl
    --with-out-mib-modules="snmpv3mibs"
    --with-out-transports="UDPIPv6,TCPIPv6,Unix,Callback,AAL5PVC,IPX"

    Has decreased the filesize to 22.795K and the memory footprint to
    1664K.

    I have also done a couple of tests on older versions of net-snmp (5.0
    and 5.1). Both increased the filesize by several hundred K and both
    decreased the memory footprint by about 100K.

    I have had problems installing UCD-SNMP on my QNX environment, but I
    am sure that will save even more space. Has anyone tried installing
    UCD on QNX before? I am getting autoheader not found error. I'll try
    downloading that package later today.

    If anyone has any insight I would be glad to hear it, Thanks.

    Jacob

  3. Re: decreasing the memory footprint

[...]

+ Reply to Thread