extending the agent options - SNMP

This is a discussion on extending the agent options - SNMP ; i am more interested in the different options for extending the agent. would i use mib2c? what are the alternatives to extending the agent? Dave, I noticed you wrote a FAQ on extending the agent. Thanks in advance. matt ------------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

  1. extending the agent options

    i am more interested in the different options for extending the agent.
    would i use mib2c?

    what are the alternatives to extending the agent?

    Dave, I noticed you wrote a FAQ on extending the agent.

    Thanks in advance.

    matt

  2. Re: extending the agent options

    2008/6/11 ntwrkd :
    > i am more interested in the different options for extending the agent.
    > would i use mib2c?

    That's the easiest way to produce suitable template code
    for implementing a new MIB module, yes.
    But it's not compulsory.
    It is perfectly possible to generate equivalent code
    by hand. (Which is probably how I develop most of
    my MIB modules, in fact)

    The one style for which this is impractical is the MfD
    framework. That pretty much *has* to use mib2c.

    > what are the alternatives to extending the agent?

    See the FAQ entry
    "How do I add a MIB to the agent"
    http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ:Agent_06

    and the various entries it refers to.