Re: Trying to get SNMP & MRTG setup - SNMP

This is a discussion on Re: Trying to get SNMP & MRTG setup - SNMP ; 2008/6/9 Shane Wesley : > First I did: > #aptitude install snmp snmpd mrtg lighttpd So you are using a vendor-provided version of the software. > Then checked it with > #snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost system > > ...

  1. Re: Trying to get SNMP & MRTG setup

    2008/6/9 Shane Wesley :
    > First I did:
    > #aptitude install snmp snmpd mrtg lighttpd

    So you are using a vendor-provided version of the software.

    > Then checked it with
    > #snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost system
    >
    > I get 'Timeout: No Response from localhost'

    Did you actually start the SNMP agent?

    > Looked in /etc/snmp and there is no snmpd.conf, only snmpd.conf-old.

    What is in this file?

    > I found snmpd.conf and it is under /var/lib/snmp/snmpd.conf

    An odd place for it...
    What is in this file?

    If you want to get started quickly,
    try creating the file /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
    containing

    rocommunity public

    and (re-)start the agent.

    Dave

  2. Re: Trying to get SNMP & MRTG setup

    Dave Shield wrote:
    >> I found snmpd.conf and it is under /var/lib/snmp/snmpd.conf

    > An odd place for it...

    Not really. It's the default path for net-snmp's persistent directory on Debian-based distributions.

    +Thomas