Net-SNMP on win32 with winExtDLL - SNMP

This is a discussion on Net-SNMP on win32 with winExtDLL - SNMP ; Hello, sorry if this sounds a bit trivial to a few. I've been reading on how to get HOST-RESOURCES-MIB to work on win32 and came upon the info in README.win32 for winExtDLL: "When using the winExtDLL extension agent, the Net-SNMP ...

  1. Net-SNMP on win32 with winExtDLL

    Hello,

    sorry if this sounds a bit trivial to a few. I've been reading on how to
    get HOST-RESOURCES-MIB to work on win32 and came upon the info in
    README.win32 for winExtDLL:

    "When using the winExtDLL extension agent, the Net-SNMP agent will load
    the Windows SNMP Service extension DLLs"

    My question is how to actually enable/use winExtDLL (*). I downloaded
    and installed the precompiled win32 binary Net-SNMP v5.4.1 from
    sourceforge. I also installed and disabled Windows SNMP Service. Still
    snmpd doesn't seem to load the Windows SNMP Service DLLs. Do I need to
    reconfigure something in Net-SNMP (a registry key perhaps or a conf
    file) or do I need to compile from source and create my own binaries
    with the options mentioned in 'Compiling Net-SNMP with the winExtDLL
    extension (MSVC)' in README.win32 ? If I'm required to do the later,
    would you suggest I used the v5.4.1 source code or download a nightly
    tarball?

    Thank you,
    Spyros

    (*) quote from README.win32:

    Enabling the Windows SNMP extension agents

    The recommended way to start snmpd is with the following command line:

    snmpd.exe
    -I-udp,udpTable,tcp,tcpTable,icmp,ip,interfaces,syste m_mib,sysORTable

    The above command will exclude all the Net-SNMP extensions that overlap
    with
    the default Windows (2003) extensions included with Windows. Other
    Net-SNMP
    modules take precedence over the modules loaded by winExtDLL.

    The Windows DLL snmpmib.dll (SNMPMIB) contains SNMP traffic statistics
    (.1.3.6.1.2.1.11). As we are using Net-SNMP and not the Windows SNMP
    Service,
    no values will be returned from the Windows extension. To allow SNMP
    statistics to be received, the Net-SNMP module snmp_mib is permitted to
    load
    by not excluding it in the above command line. As stated above, this
    module
    will take precedence over the Windows module.

    Registry Information
    --------------------

    Warning: Improper use of the registry editor can damage to your operating
    system and should only be used by experienced users.

    The following registry keys are used by the Windows SNMP Service to
    determine
    what extension DLLs to load:

    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parame ters\ExtensionAgents

    Each REG_SZ value contains the registry path to an extension agent which
    contains the path to the DLL. For example:

    Name Type Value
    1 REG_SZ SOFTWARE\Microsoft\LANManagerMIB2Agent\CurrentVers ion

    To prevent winExtDLL from loading the above extension, change the registry
    path to an invalid path such as:

    Name Type Value
    1 REG_SZ SOFTWARE\Microsoft\LANManagerMIB2Agent\CurrentVers ion!!!

  2. Re: Net-SNMP on win32 with winExtDLL

    Hi Spyros.

    Spyros Ligouras wrote:
    > My question is how to actually enable/use winExtDLL (*). I downloaded
    > and installed the precompiled win32 binary Net-SNMP v5.4.1 from
    > sourceforge. I also installed and disabled Windows SNMP Service. Still
    > snmpd doesn't seem to load the Windows SNMP Service DLLs. Do I need to

    When you install Net-SNMP, you can select either the 'Standard Agent'
    (the default) or 'With Windows Extension DLL support'.

    After installation, register the agent so that it starts with the proper
    options by clicking Start - Programs - Net-SNMP - Service - Register
    Agent Service.

    That should be it. Test it using:

    snmpget -v 1 -c public localhost sysDescr.0

    If you see something similar to:

    Hardware: x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0 AT/AT COMPATIBLE - Software:
    Windows 2000 Version 5.0 (Build 2195 Uniprocessor Free)

    instead of the usual Net-SNMP:

    Windows host1 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 2000 Server x86 Family 15 Model 12
    Stepping 0

    then it's using the Windows DLLs. You may also notice that your floppy
    drive is accessed when starting the service. This is from one of the
    Windows extensions.

    To see if it's actually loading the modules, you can shut down the
    service and then run snmpd.exe from the command line with winExtDLL
    debugging enabled using:

    snmpd.exe
    -I-udp,udpTable,tcp,tcpTable,icmp,ip,interfaces,syste m_mib,sysORTable
    -DwinExtDLL

    Alex