can not find snmpd under /etc/init.d after comiling and installingnet-snmp 5.4.2.pre1 - SNMP

This is a discussion on can not find snmpd under /etc/init.d after comiling and installingnet-snmp 5.4.2.pre1 - SNMP ; Hi, there I compile and install net-snmp for my first time, but there seems to be a little problem: at first, everything is ok, and I can run ./configure and make test and make install without any error. But after ...

  1. can not find snmpd under /etc/init.d after comiling and installingnet-snmp 5.4.2.pre1

    Hi, there

    I compile and install net-snmp for my first time, but there seems to be a little problem: at first, everything is ok, and I can run ./configure and make test and make install without any error. But after 'make install', I can't find 'snmpd' script under /etc/init.d. Have I missed something? (the host operation is Ubuntu 7.10)

    Thanks a lot!

    --------------
    xiao ren
    2008-06-07

  2. Re: can not find snmpd under /etc/init.d after comiling andinstalling net-snmp 5.4.2.pre1

    2008/6/7 xiao ren :
    > But after 'make install', I can't find 'snmpd' script under /etc/init.d.
    > Have I missed something?

    No - that is correct.
    The Net-SNMP source tarball is designed to be used on a
    wide variety of operating systems and distributions. We
    don't usually try to guess how services should be started.
    There is a suitable 'snmpd.init' script in the 'dist' directory,
    but we don't install this automatically. You can add this
    by hand, if you feel that it's suitable.

    Binary packages are aimed as a specific distribution, so
    can safely install O/S-specific (or distribution-specific)
    files. Things aren't so simple for the main source tarball.

    Dave

  3. Re: can not find snmpd under /etc/init.d after comiling and installingnet-snmp 5.4.2.pre1

    Most times you have to manually copy the init script to the startup
    folder. This is due to various differences in how *nix systems are set
    up (differences in boot between say Redhat builds, Debian builds, Free
    BSD builds, etc) and therefore somewhere in the documentation it will
    specify the right scripts to use for that. I haven't built SNMPD from
    source in a while, but I do believe there is an example script in the
    source code folder, and you may have to tune the file by hand to make
    sure all the variables match for your system (/bin/snmpd may be
    /usr/bin/snmpd on your system, etc)

    Regards,
    Seann

    xiao ren wrote:
    > Hi, there
    >
    > I compile and install net-snmp for my first time, but there seems to be a little problem: at first, everything is ok, and I can run ./configure and make test and make install without any error. But after 'make install', I can't find 'snmpd' script under /etc/init.d. Have I missed something? (the host operation is Ubuntu 7.10)
    >
    > Thanks a lot!
    >
    > --------------
    > xiao ren
    > 2008-06-07

    Seann G. Clark
    Tsukinokage.net
    nombrandue@tsukinokage.net

  4. RE: can not find snmpd under /etc/init.d after comiling andinstallingnet-snmp 5.4.2.pre1

    > From: xiao ren [mailto:reign99@21cn.com]

    > But after 'make install', I
    > can't find 'snmpd' script under /etc/init.d.

    This is normal, the generated Makefiles do not create initialization
    scripts for you.

    Since you're running Ubuntu you could download (but not install) the
    precompiled net-snmp package and extract the /etc/init.d/snmpd script,
    then adapt it for your own purposes.

    Ron "been there done that" Rader

    The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting all copies. Thank you.