Large scale SNMP monitoring tool - SNMP

This is a discussion on Large scale SNMP monitoring tool - SNMP ; Hi I am looking for a large scale SNMP monitoring tool that will be able to collect, from a central site, 100Ks of parameters from 100Ks nodes in very short cycles of around a minute. For example collecting online CPU ...

  1. Large scale SNMP monitoring tool

    Hi

    I am looking for a large scale SNMP monitoring tool that will be able
    to collect, from a central site, 100Ks of parameters from 100Ks nodes
    in very short cycles of around a minute. For example collecting online
    CPU usage and other utilization information.

    I know of tools that can do it in large time cycles (hours) with these
    numbers of OIDs collected.

    Does anyone know about a product either commercial or Open source how
    can keep with this speed requirement.

    I prefer not to have a distributed solution where I install multiple
    instances of the same product that I have to manage, but to have a
    single product although the product it self can have distributed
    capabilities but single management point.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Large scale SNMP monitoring tool

    On Jun 8, 9:27 am, "abe.sterling" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for a large scale SNMP monitoring tool that will be able
    > to collect, from a central site, 100Ks of parameters from 100Ks nodes
    > in very short cycles of around a minute. For example collecting online
    > CPU usage and other utilization information.
    >
    > I know of tools that can do it in large time cycles (hours) with these
    > numbers of OIDs collected.
    >
    > Does anyone know about a product either commercial or Open source how
    > can keep with this speed requirement.
    >
    > I prefer not to have a distributed solution where I install multiple
    > instances of the same product that I have to manage, but to have a
    > single product although the product it self can have distributed
    > capabilities but single management point.
    >
    > Thanks

    I had the same problem, and encountered the problems you said. I have
    found a company named jilroy software (www.jilroy.com) that seems to
    focus on scale. It looks like they are the ones you are looking for.

  3. Re: Large scale SNMP monitoring tool

    abe.sterling escribiˇ:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for a large scale SNMP monitoring tool that will be able
    > to collect, from a central site, 100Ks of parameters from 100Ks nodes
    > in very short cycles of around a minute. For example collecting online
    > CPU usage and other utilization information.
    >
    > I know of tools that can do it in large time cycles (hours) with these
    > numbers of OIDs collected.
    >
    > Does anyone know about a product either commercial or Open source how
    > can keep with this speed requirement.
    >
    > I prefer not to have a distributed solution where I install multiple
    > instances of the same product that I have to manage, but to have a
    > single product although the product it self can have distributed
    > capabilities but single management point.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    you can look at OpenNMS website: http://www.opennms.org

    Have a nice day.

  4. Re: Large scale SNMP monitoring tool

    On Jun 9, 2:39 pm, └ngel CatalÓ wrote:
    > abe.sterling escribiˇ:
    >

    > > Hi

    > > I am looking for a large scale SNMP monitoring tool that will be able
    > > to collect, from a central site, 100Ks of parameters from 100Ks nodes
    > > in very short cycles of around a minute. For example collecting online
    > > CPU usage and other utilization information.

    > > I know of tools that can do it in large time cycles (hours) with these
    > > numbers of OIDs collected.

    > > Does anyone know about a product either commercial or Open source how
    > > can keep with this speed requirement.

    > > I prefer not to have a distributed solution where I install multiple
    > > instances of the same product that I have to manage, but to have a
    > > single product although the product it self can have distributed
    > > capabilities but single management point.

    > > Thanks

    > Hi,
    >
    > you can look at OpenNMS website:http://www.opennms.org
    >
    > Have a nice day.

    I have looked at the opennms but it does not scale to the sizes I
    wanted of 100Ks IP addresses.

    It requires special programming focusing on scale.
    I have installed the Jilroy software and with some help from their
    support I managed to monitor a network of about 100K in a cycle of 1
    minute. Looking at their settings it looks like they did some not a
    trivial things. For example they have flow control parameters on the
    rate they send requests on the wire, and they have special code that
    handles status changes very fast.

    Thanks anyway.

  5. Re: Large scale SNMP monitoring tool

    Might take a look at Nerve Center from Open Service

    www.openservice.com

+ Reply to Thread