SNMP_ERR_TOOBIG - SNMP

This is a discussion on SNMP_ERR_TOOBIG - SNMP ; Hello. How can I find out how many oids can I get from a device? -- Sem. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2008. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/ _______________________________________________ Net-snmp-users mailing list Net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net Please see ...

  1. SNMP_ERR_TOOBIG

    --
    Sem.

  2. Re: SNMP_ERR_TOOBIG

    On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 05:47:05PM +0400, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > How can I find out how many oids can I get from a device?

    The best source is from the documentation for the device in question.
    Lacking that, a binary search using snmpget can disclose some limits.
    It's unlikely there will be a completely firm number, given that octet
    strings can vary in length and the number of OIDs available in a single
    call will be limited by several factors, including the MTU on the
    network segment and available mamory inside the device. Embedded SNMP
    agents may face stricter limitations than larger, more fully-provisioned
    systems.
    --
    Roy M. Silvernail is roy@rant-central.com, and you're not
    "A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy."

  3. RE: SNMP_ERR_TOOBIG

    Generally speaking, however, link length limits tend to be the deciding factor, like ethernet's 1514 bytes. Limits are almost invariably on the number of bytes, not the number of OIDs, so it is not only the size of the data, but also the length of the OID, which must also be encoded on the wire, that matter.

    HTH(DID),

    Mike