--===============1433124943==

--0-9638498-1210313303=:7593

Yes. It's a tradeoff between consistency and
up-to-date information. Finally we have to give up one.
-------------------------

Even if we increase the caching time, We can expect a walk req. just before the expiry of caching time which will lead to refresh of table & inconsistent data if any inst. add/remov-ed.

Thanks to everyone.

Thanks
Valantina

Dave Shield wrote: 2008/5/8 valantina arumugam :
> 1. Say the cache time is 6 sec & XX Table contains 8 instance.
> snmwalk request comes at 3 rd sec

No.
The loading of the cache would typically be triggered by the first
SNMP request. So the beginning of the snmpwalk request
would mark the *start* of the cache timeout period.

Of course, if it takes longer than 6 seconds to walk the whole table,
then yes - the cache would expire during this traversal, and you
could potentially end up with inconsistent data.

The answer there would be to increase the lifetime of the cache.
This should be set to something slightly longer than the expected
time to walk the table. It's a tradeoff between consistency and
up-to-date information.

Dave

---------------------------------
Meet people who discuss and share your passions. Join them now.

Dave Shield <D.T.Shield@liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:
2008/5/8 valantina arumugam :
> 1. Say the cache time is 6 sec & XX Table contains 8 instance.
> snmwalk request comes at 3 rd sec

No.
The loading of the cache would typically be triggered by the first
SNMP request. So the beginning of the snmpwalk request
would mark the *start* of the cache
timeout period.

Of course, if it takes longer than 6 seconds to walk the whole table,
then yes - the cache would expire during this traversal, and you
could potentially end up with inconsistent data.

The answer there would be to increase the lifetime of the cache.
This should be set to something slightly longer than the expected
time to walk the table. It's a tradeoff between consistency and
up-to-date information.

Dave

Meet people who discuss and share your passions. Join them now.
--0-9638498-1210313303=:7593--

Use priority code J8TL2D2.