From: dave.shield@googlemail.com [mailto:dave.shield@googlemail.com] On
Behalf Of Dave Shield
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:40 PM
To: Pamidipati Suresh-G20238
Cc: valantina arumugam; net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: How to differentiate snmpwalk & snmpgetnext request ??

2008/5/8 Pamidipati Suresh-G20238
:
> Regarding the example you mentioned, why do you want to gather all the

> instances of the table in the 1st getnext itself when snmpwalk is
> given.?

I believe that Valantina is concerned about the data changing while the
walk is taking place.

For example, consider a table containing two columns and (initially) two
columns. Walking this table would look like:

GETNEXT table --> this.1
GETNEXT this.1 --> this.2
GETNEXT this.2 --> that.1[*]
GETNEXT that.1 --> that.2
GETNEXT that.2 --> endOfTable

The client could then display the two rows quite happily:

this.1 that.1
this.2 that.2

But suppose that a new row (3) was created at exact moment that the walk
had got to the point marked[*] The remaining sequence of GETNEXT
requests would then be

GETNEXT that.1 --> that.2
GETNEXT that.2 --> that.3
GETNEXT that.3 --> endOfTable

leaving the client with the inconsistent table

this.1 that.1
this.2 that.2
(?) that.3

Alternatively, suppose the second row was deleted at[*]
The walk would then finish

GETNEXT that.1 --> endOfTable

giving the client a table:

this.1 that.1
this.2 (?)

retrieve a consistent set of information (albeit one that was slightly
out of date).

Dave