Particular Ethernet stats in working MRTG polling SNMP - SNMP

This is a discussion on Particular Ethernet stats in working MRTG polling SNMP - SNMP ; I have a configuration that is working great for keeping an eye on general bandwidth for a server right now utilizing mrtg on the stats host and net-snmp on the server that I'm watching stats on.. What I'd like to ...

  1. Particular Ethernet stats in working MRTG polling SNMP

    I have a configuration that is working great for keeping an eye on
    general bandwidth for a server right now utilizing mrtg on the stats
    host and net-snmp on the server that I'm watching stats on.. What I'd
    like to be able to do is keep an eye on a couple of other things here,
    but I haven't been able to find any good documentation on what I
    need... Everything seems to go way beyond the simple addition I want
    to do and jumps immediately into MIBs and particular OIDs for each
    device.

    As far as I can tell, what I need to do breaks down into the following
    steps:
    A) Ensure that my 'public' ACL specifies that I can view attributes of
    the RealTek RTL8139 Ethernet interface. Although I know I need to do
    this step, I don't know what this looks like in the ACL file. If I do
    not have read access to these stats, I need to grant it through an
    explicit rule.

    B) Once SNMP serves the information I need to make sure that mrtg is
    polling for these particular stats in the particular interface's .cfg
    file. I have had a hard time finding documentation on this, also.

    If anybody has information that could help me with either of the
    steps, I would appreciate it. All that I basically want to do is make
    a graph of ethernet interface errors, dropped packets, and unusual
    txqueue length. Already have the bandwidth graph for this interface
    configured fine as is usual out of the box.

    Thanks for your time and help!

    -D

  2. Re: Particular Ethernet stats in working MRTG polling SNMP

    Okay well an update on how I'm doing with this... I've managed to
    find where I can allow snmp access on the right community to an OID.
    I believe that the OID I'm looking for (for Ethernet information) is .
    1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2, which should be Ethernet like devices... I'm not
    completely sure on this, however, I'd love some feedback.

    Anyway I'm doing an snmp walk on that right now and I see that there
    is a _LOT_ more data than I need available there for polling. All
    that I want is what is on my primary and secondary ethernet interfaces
    (eth0/eth1) which should be accessible via ifDescr.2 and ifDescr.3
    (with ifDescr.1 being loopback). Not sure how to limit that
    information available from snmpd yet... I am getting the feeling that
    this is somehow available by finding out what OID would be referenced
    by ifDescr.2.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2, but I'm not sure if I'm going in
    totally the wrong direction with this or not yet...

    Once I've got snmpd serving the right information and not gigabytes
    more than I need, I will just need to find out how to poll that with
    mrtg on that machine that's pulling other stats from there and I
    should be good.

    Again, any pointers for good documentation to areas where I'm
    obviously lacking, personal help/tips, or anything of the sort is very
    much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    -D

  3. Re: Particular Ethernet stats in working MRTG polling SNMP

[...]

  4. Re: Particular Ethernet stats in working MRTG polling SNMP

    Last, but not least for today...

    I was totally on the wrong track, as far as I can tell, with that
    last .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2 lead that I was going on.

    I started looking closer to home, thinking that I'd dug through too
    many conversations indexed by google in my research on this and maybe
    gotten pulled a bit off track. Sure enough, I finally found what I
    was looking for in some of the data available under share>/IF-MIB.txt. I shouldn't have been looking for a particular
    piece of hardware's attribute, I needed to look under the interface
    itself. Maybe that information is available under a hardware specific
    MIB as well, but this was much easier to find.

    The information that I need to poll is definitely in that MIB. I just
    need to figure out how to specify which interface I'm working on,
    first, and then under the IfEntry sequence there are the stats I need:
    ifInDiscards (13), ifInErrors (14), ifOutDiscards (19), ifOutErrors
    (20), ifOutQLen (21).

    SO I should just have to figure out what the full name for this MIB is
    and do snmptranslate on that to convert it to a numeric OID. After I
    have such, I make this available to the group that I am polling under
    in snmpd.conf, and I'll have access to my data.

    I'm still not entirely sure how to take care of that, though, and I'd
    love any help I could get.

    -Damon

  5. Re: Particular Ethernet stats in working MRTG polling SNMP

[...]

+ Reply to Thread