eventTable and userName / secName - SNMP

This is a discussion on eventTable and userName / secName - SNMP ; Hello, From which table will I get the event-index value necessary to find the right event-community name in the event-table? I only found one picture at the IBM page, about a "control table", where I should get the right index. ...

  1. eventTable and userName / secName

    Hello,

    From which table will I get the event-index value necessary to find
    the right event-community name in the event-table? I only found one
    picture at the IBM page, about a "control table", where I should get
    the right index. But I don`t know this table... (can`t find it in the
    MIB).

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../v3Notfcn.html

    Moreover, is there a event / counter-value if the log-table is full
    and the latest event / trap is not able to be stored?

    What about the log-description column in the log-table - is there the
    same description stored as in the event table?

    What about the snmpTargetParamsName - is it only a index for this
    table?

    There`s always one entry "msgUserName" in each kind of pdu.
    But is this description correct? Because in the user table there are
    always one username and one securityname - so if I`m right, then there
    could be more security-names for one username... that would mean, that
    I`ve not to transmit the username - I have to transmit the security-
    name.

    thanks for answering my question!

    best regards
    Bernd

  2. Re: eventTable and userName / secName

    bernd wrote:

    > From which table will I get the event-index value necessary to find
    > the right event-community name in the event-table? I only found one
    > picture at the IBM page, about a "control table", where I should get
    > the right index. But I don`t know this table... (can`t find it in the
    > MIB).

    You have to be more precise; there is no such thing as event-community
    or event-table in any of the IETF MIB modules.

    > There`s always one entry "msgUserName" in each kind of pdu.

    No. If you use USM (RFC3414), then there is exactly one "msgUserName"
    in each _message_.

    > But is this description correct? Because in the user table there are
    > always one username and one securityname - so if I`m right, then there
    > could be more security-names for one username... that would mean, that
    > I`ve not to transmit the username - I have to transmit the security-
    > name.

    RFC 3414:

    userName
    A string representing the name of the user.

    securityName
    A human-readable string representing the user in a format that is
    Security Model independent. There is a one-to-one relationship
    between userName and securityName.

    The userName is USM specific, the securityName is not. In other words,
    if you implement multiple security models (e.g. TSM in addition to USM),
    you could map different security model specific identities into the same
    securityName.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
    Phone: +49 421 200 3587 Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany

  3. Re: eventTable and userName / secName

    On 30 Apr., 08:43, "Dr. Juergen Schoenwaelder" bs.de> wrote:
    > bernd wrote:
    > > From which table will I get the event-index value necessary to find
    > > the right event-community name in the event-table? I only found one
    > > picture at the IBM page, about a "control table", where I should get
    > > the right index. But I don`t know this table... (can`t find it in the
    > > MIB).

    > You have to be more precise; there is no such thing as event-community
    > or event-table in any of the IETF MIB modules.

    I mean the event-table (RFC 1271 RMON) with the OID
    1.3.6.1.2.1.16.9.1.

    I want to know where I get all the information to transmit a trap or
    inform message if an event occured. Therefore I figured out that I
    have to use one "control table" ( I don`t know which table) to get the
    index-value for the event-table. In the event-table I will get the
    eventCommunity... -> snmpNotifyTable -> snmpTargetAddrTable ->
    snmpTargetParamTable -> and then I should be able to have all the
    necessary information to transmit a trapv2 or inform message.

    Or is there another way to get all information for such a trap message
    (if I use snmpv3)?

    Moreover is it necessary to import all RMON MIBs, if the fixture will
    be a ordinary agent not a router / switch? Only the alarm and the
    event group are very interessant.

    > > There`s *always one entry "msgUserName" in each kind of pdu.

    > No. If you use USM (RFC3414), then there is exactly one "msgUserName"
    > in each _message_.

    That`s right. I thought that there could be more security-names for
    one username. But as you described it`s in the other way around.

    > The userName is USM specific, the securityName is not. In other words,
    > if you implement multiple security models (e.g. TSM in addition to USM),
    > you could map different security model specific identities into the same
    > securityName.

    best regards
    Bernd

  4. Re: eventTable and userName / secName

    another question about these tables:

    is it correct, that if the manager would create a new row, he has to
    create a new row of the "control table" - and the agent will
    simultanesly create a new row in the event-table with the next event-
    index (not-accessible) too? So that the manager is now able to find
    this row in the event-table with the correct index and add the other
    values which are read-create - or how does it work?

    the problem is, that each table has one table-index value which is
    "not-accessible", so if the manager would create a new row in such a
    table, the index-value have to be there before the creation? Or how
    is the manager able to create in such a table a new row?

    best regards
    Bernd

  5. Re: eventTable and userName / secName

    bernd wrote:

    > the problem is, that each table has one table-index value which is
    > "not-accessible", so if the manager would create a new row in such a
    > table, the index-value have to be there before the creation? Or how
    > is the manager able to create in such a table a new row?

    You send a set requestion which contains an OID which includes the
    index the manager wants. For details, read the RowStatus TC from
    RFC 2579. This is the standard convention for creating/deleting
    rows.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
    Phone: +49 421 200 3587 Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
    Fax: +49 421 200 3103

  6. Re: eventTable and userName / secName

    On 30 Apr., 23:03, "Dr. Juergen Schoenwaelder" bs.de> wrote:
    > bernd wrote:
    > > the problem is, that each table has one table-index value which is
    > > "not-accessible", so if the manager would create a new row in such a
    > > table, the index-value have to be there before the creation? *Or how
    > > is the manager able to create in such a table a new row?

    > You send a set requestion which contains an OID which includes the
    > index the manager wants. For details, read the RowStatus TC from
    > RFC 2579. This is the standard convention for creating/deleting
    > rows.

    that`s totally true... but if I will create one new row in a table
    where one of the columns are not-accessible then I don`t know what I
    have to do with this column (for this new row). Which content will
    this column have for the new row? If it`s only a "stupid" index with
    no relation to another table... then I could add the new index
    value...

    For example: the snmpNotifyTable has one column: snmpNotifyName which
    is not accessible. What will happen if I create a new row in this
    table? Which content will be included in snmpNotifyName?

    Another question: the event table (OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.9.1.) has the
    column event-index. If an event occured, I have to look for a
    "control table" (I don`t know which table that should be???) where I
    will get the index value to find the right row in the event-table...
    Do you know which control table that should be?

    There`s a picture of it:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../v3Notfcn.html
    (and then click at the link "How Netcool/SSM processes SNMPv3
    notifications")

    thanks for your help

    best regards
    Bernd

  7. Re: eventTable and userName / secName

    On 30 Apr., 23:03, "Dr. Juergen Schoenwaelder" bs.de> wrote:
    > bernd wrote:
    > > the problem is, that each table has one table-index value which is
    > > "not-accessible", so if the manager would create a new row in such a
    > > table, the index-value have to be there before the creation? Or how
    > > is the manager able to create in such a table a new row?

    > You send a set requestion which contains an OID which includes the
    > index the manager wants. For details, read the RowStatus TC from
    > RFC 2579. This is the standard convention for creating/deleting
    > rows.

    that`s totally true... but if I will create one new row in a table
    where one of the columns are not-accessible then I don`t know what I
    have to do with this column (for this new row). Which content will
    this column have for the new row? If it`s only a "stupid" index with
    no relation to another table... then I could add the new index
    value...

    For example: the snmpNotifyTable has one column: snmpNotifyName which
    is not accessible. What will happen if I create a new row in this
    table? Which content will be included in snmpNotifyName?

    Another question: the event table (OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.9.1.) has the
    column event-index. If an event occured, I have to look for a
    "control table" (I don`t know which table that should be???) where I
    will get the index value to find the right row in the event-table...
    Do you know which control table that should be?

    There`s a picture of it:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../v3Notfcn.html
    (and then click at the link "How Netcool/SSM processes SNMPv3
    notifications")

    thanks for your help

    best regards
    Bernd

  8. Re: eventTable and userName / secName

    bernd wrote:
    > On 30 Apr., 23:03, "Dr. Juergen Schoenwaelder" > bs.de> wrote:

    >> You send a set requestion which contains an OID which includes the
    >> index the manager wants. For details, read the RowStatus TC from
    >> RFC 2579. This is the standard convention for creating/deleting
    >> rows.

    [...]

    > For example: the snmpNotifyTable has one column: snmpNotifyName which
    > is not accessible. What will happen if I create a new row in this
    > table? Which content will be included in snmpNotifyName?

    You send a set request to the snmpNotifyRowStatus object and the OID
    contains the value of snmpNotifyName since snmpNotifyName is part of
    the INDEX of the SnmpNotifyEntry.

    > Another question: the event table (OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.9.1.) has the
    > column event-index. If an event occured, I have to look for a
    > "control table" (I don`t know which table that should be???) where I
    > will get the index value to find the right row in the event-table...
    > Do you know which control table that should be?

    Sorry, but I have no clue what your problem is. I do not find any
    text stating you have to look into a control table in the RMON-MIB
    module (RFC 2819). I guess you lack a general understanding how
    SNMP notifications are pushed to various targets so I suggest to
    read RFC 3413.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
    Phone: +49 421 200 3587 Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
    Fax: +49 421 200 3103

+ Reply to Thread