On Apr 27, 2008, at 4:17 PM, David T. Perkins wrote:

> HI,
>
> In the same situation, I'd have the program (or script) that starts
> the agent specify the UDP port that the agent should use.

It can't. It has no way of knowing what ports will be free. Only the
kernel knows that.

If you're running a single instance of a server, you can manually
allocate a port and start up your server there at boot time. In an
environment where servers are constantly being started up and shut
down, asynchronously, with many servers running at a time, you need to
have the kernel do it for you.

Roy Smith
Software Guy, EMC Common Management Group
44 South Broadway, 7th floor
White Plains, NY 10601
+1 914 580 3427
AIM: roysmith649