> From: Ron Rader

> How does the agent determine the state of ifAdminStatus and
> ifOperStatus? Is there another /proc file that reflects the state of
> these interfaces, not simply their existence?

I wanted to update the list with my progress (answering my own
questions!) and hopefully close this thread for anybody Googling similar
issues.

Quick recap: my embedded Linux appliance has Ethernet IPSec
interfaces which use our proprietary dataplane IP stack, not the Linux
network drivers. Yet I need to generate linkUp and linkDown traps for
these interfaces using our business logic.

We have extended "ethtool" to include hooks into our dataplane, so
that it properly reports link status on the IPSec interfaces. I
periodically sample ethtool link status and use the "ip link" command to
propagate that status through the Linux platform (and subsequently
within snmpd's IF-MIB).

This allows a properly configured snmpd to generate linkUp/linkDown,
as expected. It was a lot easier than I feared.

Ron

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting all copies. Thank you.