On 21/04/2008, Vishal Nandanwar wrote:
> What is difference between "NOTIFICATION-TYPE" and "TRAP-TYPE".

NOTIFICATION-TYPE is used in modern (SMIv2) MIB files.
TRAP-TYPE is used in old-fashioned (SMIv1) MIB files.

> When I create code using mib2c tool using mib2c.notify.conf template,
> I found generated object ID are diffrent.

An SMIv2 Notification will have an OID associated directly with it,
in exactly the same way as any other MIB object. This is the OID
used by mib2c.notify.conf

An SMIv1 Trap does not work in quite the same way.
It contains both an enterprise OID *and* a trap number.
mib2c.notify.conf will combine these to create a trap OID
of the form
{enterprise}.0.{trapno}

> What is the difference between it?

In practise, none.

This is the standard approach for translating SNMPv1 traps
into SNMPv2/SNMPv3 notifications. As long as the SMIv2
definition has '0' as the penultimate subidentifier, everything
will work smoothly. See NET-SNMP-MIB for the definition
of netSnmpNotificationObjects to see how this works.

> when we should use NOTIFICATION-TYPE and
> when to use TRAP-TYPE?

If you are writing your MIB in SMIv2, then use NOTIFICATION-TYPE.
If you are writing your MIB in SMIv1, then:
a) why?
b) use TRAP-TYPE
c) why?!?

If you're not sure which version of SMIv2 you are using, then
look at how you've started it. If it begins with a MODULE-IDENTITY
block, and imports symbols from SNMPv2-SMI, then this is SMIv2.

If it doesn't start with a MODULE-IDENTITY block, and imports
symbols from RFC1155-SMI and RFC-1212, then it's SMIv1.

Dave