> On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Thomas Bonham wrote:
>
> > Does anyone else have any idea's on how to get this to working right?

Sorry for the delay in responding to this.
I've just started using my Mac laptop in earnest, and ran into the same issue.
The simplest workaround that I've found so far is to run

configure --disable-embedded-perl

This allows the internal configure tests to run properly,
and successfully discover the characteristics of the system.
The main library, apps and agent can then build successfully.

[Building the perl modules also fails, but that's less criticial]

On 09/03/2008, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> Also, can you post a URL to your config.log? That double "-arch" stuff is
> suspocious. ~BAS

This appears to be picked up from the flags used to compile perl.
When building embedded perl, the configure script includes the output from

perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ccopts

into the CFLAGS (and similar).
On my system, this starts

-arch i386 -arch ppc ....

which is sufficient to confuse the 'conftest' compilations.
Disabling embedded perl support avoids tweaking the CFLAGS in this way.

Dave