We have a piece of hardware with two interfaces that do not use the
regular Linux IP stack, and therefore do not natively populate ifTable.
I need to generate linkUp/linkDown notifications on these interfaces and
am trying to think of the best way to accomplish this.

As I see it, I have three options:

1. Figure out a way to populate ifTable for these application-specific
interfaces and use the regular monitors so the agent generates the
traps.

2. Send traps via "snmptrap" command system calls.

3. Figure out a way to send linkUp/linkDown traps with new code in the
agent, perhaps in our MIB extension. Then I can use our existing
application to trigger the traps in response to our internal status
check.

Option 1 is probably the cleanest but I am very unfamiliar with the
existing mechanism for MIB population and I am extremely pressed for
time.

I really DON'T like option 2. I experimented with the snmptrap
command and it requires me to specify every shred of information and
every trap recipient; it doesn't seem to take advantage of the agent's
configuration (e.g. trap2sink , trapcommunity ).

I am somewhat familiar with option 3 because that is how I generate
our enterprise MIB notifications. But I have no idea how to
programmatically generate other well known traps.

Can anybody who has trod this path offer any advice?

Thanks!

Regards,

Ron

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting all copies. Thank you.